imagine twenty: max mayfield

hi lol
I PROMISE THIS IS A HAPPY ENDING
...and hopefully the last part

your eyes felt heavy, trying so hard to fight in order to keep them open. you could feel a pair of arms wrapped around you and you were afraid that whoever it was wasn't good. your memory was hazy but the last thing you remember seeing was vecna with his hand raised above your face.

but, these arms didn't feel as evil as his; they felt safe, as well as shaky.

"y/n, can you hear me?" steve's voice came in and out of your head, kind of staticky.

"what the hell did you guys do?!" nancy was pissed and she was aiming her question at her brother.

"me?! i didn't do anything!" mike was quick to defend himself, using his free hand that wasn't wrapped around el to point at dustin. "he's the one who instigated it!"

"seriously?!" dustin screamed back, finding this whole argument unnecessary. "how about you put the goddamn blame aside and help us figure out a plan!"

"y/n, can you hear me?" this voice sounded a lot more intelligible, as if they were right beside you.

because of it, it caused you to peel your eyes open in hopes the eerie hospital kitchen would come into view, but instead, you saw a figure kneeled in front of you. their face was extremely blurry which made you close your eyes again.

this time, when you opened them, the face of max mayfield was as clear as day.

"hey, can you hear me?" she asked you once more as she saw you staring back at her in fear. "it's me, y/n."

you furrowed your brows, "...max?"

"of course, loser," she was quick to joke, also quick to pull your numb limbs into a hug. "i'm not totally sure if i'm hallucinating you, but i don't care because i've missed you so much, y/n."

you didn't return the gesture as you were out of it, blinking rapidly to gain composure, "where are we?"

"my home," max answered softly, pulling away to observe your facial features. "is it really you?"

"i-i think so? i'm so confused right now." you told her honestly, suddenly feeling the burn in your eyes.

"it's okay," she immediately consoled you. "vecna, he, uh, he almost got you. i understand if you need some time."

you looked at her confused. he almost got you. was that what he was doing? did she not hear the conversation they had? she probably hadn't or else she would have known that whatever he did unlocked a spark in you.

max could see you stared at her as if her words offended you but she assumed you were still recovering.

"would you guys shut up!" steve hollered at all the yelling teens in the empty kitchen. "i think she's talking."

"i can hear them," you squeezed your eyes shut as you covered your ears. "it's working."

max looked at you as if you've gone crazy, "what's working? and who's talking?"