Chapter 16: Missing Piece

Start from the beginning

"In your case it's a favor. I know you don't enjoy spending too much time in my presence but I would like to see my son tonight. I'm afraid I've gotten quite used to having him around." The admission came so easily, without any kind of embarrassment or restraint. One would almost think it was easy for Benjamin to make such confessions. Amelia knew better. It was hard as hell for him to show her his true emotions.

"Landon needs to go to bed early on school nights and you work late. What do you think about stopping by my apartment when you're done at the office? That way you two can spend some time together and read him a bedtime story before he goes to sleep. I'm sure Landon would like that."

It was a compromise Amelia had no problem making. She might still feel a hint of anger and disappointment towards Benjamin after everything that happened, but that didn't mean she would try to come between Landon and him. It was clear the two of them enjoyed being around each other. She'd have to be a cruel bitch to try to stand in between them. Her son loved his father and his father loved him in return. It was everything she ever wanted for her boy. She'd be stupid not to realize that.

Benjamin contemplated her suggestion for a moment before nodding in agreement. "I'll try to keep my workaholic tendencies at bay and make sure I'm at your place in time."

Amelia smiled, amused. "Keep them at bay? How in the world are you going to do that? It's part of who you are. I don't think there's an off switch." The man arrived at work before everyone else, was the last one to leave the office and was permanently attached to his business cell phone. She was pretty sure that even at home he still worked, seeing as he'd more than once called her afterhours to ask about one of their clients.

"You might be surprised, Lia. Work is very important to me, but it's no longer my priority." It was the first time he used her nickname and combined with the declaration he just made, it made her heart turn into mush. Underneath all those thick layers of defense, there was a heart of gold hidden inside of Benjamin, a discovery she was glad she made. While it messed with her opinion of him, she was happy to know her son would always be able to count on his father.

"You make it hard on me to dislike you when you say stuff like that," Amelia mumbled, sucking her bottom lip between her teeth. How on earth was she supposed to keep remembering all the bad stuff when he said something like that?

"I don't want you to dislike me."

Then keep showing me you truly think of Landon as your top priority and I might even end up falling in love with you. Shit. She had no idea which part of her brain that came from, but wherever it was, it should've stayed locked away. It were the kind of thoughts that were beyond dangerous.

"You put many mothers to shame with your extremely overprotectiveness of our son and your ability to make him the happiest kid in the world. I'm pretty sure everyone would love to have you as a mom," Benjamin went on, having no idea of the crazy thoughts that had just crossed her mind.

"That's a pretty serious compliment coming from a man who is very thrifty with his praises."

Benjamin shrugged. "I'm just calling it how I see it."

Smiling shyly, Amelia had to dig her nails into the palms of her hands to restrain herself from leaning closer and touching Benjamin. She hated how deeply his words affected her. He was a man who could easily hurt her, yet she was drawn to him like a moth to a flame. Her feelings towards him were dangerous and would only lead to trouble.

"I'll see you tonight," Benjamin said, sending her one last glance before leaving her office. Amelia's heart pounded wildly in her chest, that warm feeling only Benjamin could evoke lingering in her stomach as she watched him walk away.