take 9: T&T

this is mostly dialogue, i felt like doing sumn different🤭
i'll post before i'm done editing cause idk
it's a short story.

Toni's pov.

Moving from Queens to Houston is hard. Especially in your senior year. I found my first class on my own but this study hall took me 15 minutes to find. When I opened the door everyone's head turned and looked me, except for one person.

"Hi.. is this Ms.Rylands study hall? I'm new here, sorry for my t-"
"You're fine just sit down please." The lady I'm assuming was Ms.Ryland said. I walked over to the only empty spot, near the person who's head didn't rise when the door opened. Try to be social toni... no one knows you. I gently tapped their shoulder.

"Um hi." I said. They sat up and I realized how tall they were. They looked at me with annoyance.
"Why did you sit here?" They asked. I felt my face warm up under their stare. Thank the universe I'm black, it's not noticeable.
"Uh it was the only seat available." I said barely above a whisper.
"Speak up."
"It was the only seat." I replied. They looked me up and down.
"Why you think no one else sits here?"
"I-I don't know, I'm sorry. I can just get up, I'm sorry for distu-"
"Stay." They said. I looked down in embarrassment.
"I'm Toni." I said very quietly.
"Tahji." They said before putting their head back down. I played on my phone until the bell rang. I mustered up the strength to tap Tahji again.

"What nigga?"
"Can you please help me find my next class please? The bell already rang..."
"Ight come on." Tahji said standing up. I think I might've wet myself when I saw how tall they really were. I generally thought I was tall-ish standing at 5'8". They had to be at least 6'2".

"What are you looking at me for? Let's go."
"Sorry I'm coming sorry."
They walked out the classroom and I trailed behind who I thought was Tahji like a duckling. I swear I blinked and whoever it was, was gone. I felt my anxiety start to rise again. There was so many people and They were everywhere. I backed into what I thought was a wall.

"Toni. Pay attention to what you're doing bruh."
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry" I said trying to stop my tears, I was overwhelmed. Tahji grabbed my wrist and dragged me to the elevator. They closed the doors and looked at me.
"Stop fucking crying. Ima help you just relax bruh." I wiped my tears and put my head down.

"I'm sorry." The elevator dinged and they walked me to my class.
"When this shit over Ima be at the door to get you. I'll help you for the day. Just don't cry no more. I'm already mad late so bye."
"T-thank you." I squeaked out.
"Yea whatever." Tahji said. For the rest of the day Tahji helped me with my classes and with lunch. When my last class ended Tahji was right at the door for me.

"How you getting home?"
"Umm I was gonna uber. I don't have a car down here yet."
"Do you want to be kidnapped? I'll take you home, come on."
"But I-"
"Come on Toni."
"Okay sorry." I whispered. I saw two pins on their backpack. One read "go away i'm gay." The other read "she/her" well now I could stop guessing her pronouns. They opened their car doors and I started to sit in the back.

"Passenger seat Toni."
"Yes sorry sorry."
"Can you stop apologizing? You haven't even did nothing." Tahji asked. I didn't say anything in fear of apologizing again.
"Type yo address in." I nodded. She started driving as the gps configured the route.
"How come you don't have any friends?"
"Because I had three assault charges and I'm mean." My eyes widened as in between my legs got moist. I have issues, I know.

"How did you get them?" I asked quietly.
"I kept beating up people until I got really close to killing them."
"Oh."
"You don't look scared."
"Well I'm not, you're nice to me."
"Yea whatever." Tahji said.
"Can I come to your house?"
"We just met."
"Yea but we're friends." I said beaming at her while she pulled to a stop at a red light. She looked back me her face void of emotion.