49. Ruler of the Walls

Start from the beginning

"So you think there's no point having us sit through all this?" Another man asked.

"Yeah." His friend replied. "If this is how it's gonna be, I think I'd prefer the fake king."

"H-Hey Look over there!" A man shouted, ponting towards the wall.

All of them looked at the walls to see a huge cloud of smoke, heading towards the wall.

"Is that smoke?" The Garrison soilder asked.
.

"Fire!" Carsten ordered, covering his ears.

The soilders fired the cannons at the Rod titan at Carsten's command.
.

The Rod titan didn't stop even after getting hit by cannons. But, after few more hits, it stopped on it's track.
.

The Survey Corps were looking at the sight, standing over the walls.

"Did they do it?" Erwin asked.
.

The Garrison soilders, standing down the Walls with cannons gasped as the Rod titan started moving again.

"Fire!" One Garrison squad leader ordered, covering his ears.

The ground level cannons were fired at his command but it didn't have any effect on Rod titan.
.

"The ground cannons are even less effective." Erwin said.

"Ofcourse they are." Levi said. "Even the wall mounted cannons can barely hit the nape despite having a better angle. What's going on here?"

"This team was cobbled together the canons were gathered last minute and they are disorganised." Erwin replied. "Moreover, this is a northern region. Unlike the troops on the front lines, they've never seen real combat. On the other hand, this is the best we can do in the current situation."
.

The ground cannons were kept fired at Rod titan who didn't stop.
.

"Yeah, that much is painfully obvious." Levi said. "I don't like that you've forced the Survey Corps into another risky gamble of a plan. Its string to feel like thats all you've got."

"Erwin! I brought the goods!" Hange shouted, approaching them.
.

Some scouts were tying the barrels together with a net.
.

"Here's all the gunpowder, ropes, and mating we could find. We just need to put it all together." Hange said. Then Moblit brought a barrel, connected to a cart in which ODM gear was connected. "Oh, and we made these! The other one is on the opposite side. When the anchors are fired, the triggers will lock in place and pull the barrel forward." She looked at Levi. "So is the artillery proving effective?"

Levi looked at Rod titan. "Slightly more effective than pissing on it would be."

"So we're really going to use these, then?" Hange asked.

"Levi, Faye, Sasha, Connie, you take care of the other side." Erwin ordered.

"Understood!" The Levi squad said and ran off.
.

Hange was standing before the barrels while Mikasa and the other scouts were bringing more barrels.

Eren and Historia were making a net with the rope.

"Let's put these together just like, hm..." Hange said as Mikasa put one barrel on top of another. "Just like we're wrapping a present for someone special!"

Erwin approached them and stood behind Historia.

"I believe Levi has already informed you, Historia." Erwin said, slightly bowing down. "But assuming we survive this, I'd like to ask you to assume the throne as queen." Historia was looking ahead firmly. "Naturally, that means we can't have you on the frontline like this."