Right place, wrong time pt. 3 - Alexia Putellas

Start from the beginning

"How?".

Mapi stops to think for a second, wondering whether it is wise to tell the captain or let her figure it out by herself, "start by making an effort, just little things like a smile letting her know your there for her and maybe hold back on trying to corner her for a conversation, if she wants to talk to you; she'll come to you" she explains, "other than that, you have to let it her figure it out for herself, what she wants".

Alexia smiles, "when did you become so wise?" she asks, "Ingrid recommended a book she read" the defender mumbles, blushing from ear to ear.

*

The next two weeks are tough as your schedule is crammed full of games and also a few media appearances, not to mention international duty.

You've actually had very little time to stop and think about anything other than football and while it might have been tiring, it's also been a blessing in disguise as you haven't had a chance to think about what happened with Alexia.

That doesn't mean you haven't run into her again or had to sit through dinners with her, you most certainly had but you also noticed a slight change in her behaviour.

While she had drifted away from you after the encounter in the gym, you noticed she had once again started to accept your presence, shooting you the occasional smile now and even going as far as to squeeze your hand when she noticed you getting nervous during an event.

It didn't mean you could forgive her that easily of course, however Mapi was of a different mind entirely and frequently scolded you when deliberately avoided going near or talking about Alexia, despite the effort the captain was very clearly putting in.

"I don't know why you're so averse to her trying" she protests, "Ale is trying her best and you don't even want to see it".

"No es así" you sigh, ignoring the look Mapi is giving you, "it's not! And don't even try to argue with me María. I wish I could forgive her as easily as you want me to but I tried that once and it didn't go well".

The defender just rolls her eyes at you, either annoyed at your deflection of the situation or the use of her Christian name.

"I don't want you to forgive her that easily, I'd be a bad friend to both of you if I thought that. I just... maybe give her another chance, listen to what she has to say" she shrugs, "what else could she possibly have to say to me, hmm? I feel as though everything that could have been said already has been. I think I'm better just moving on from this" you admit.

Mapi scoffs, "you're really going to give up that easily?" she asks and you shrug in reply.

"Then you are more stupid than I thought".

"And what's that supposed to mean?" you question but Mapi ignores you, "María León, you did not just walk away from me".

She speeds up and it turns into a full on sprint in the corridor which almost ends up in you running head long into a door, "what do I need to do to get you to stop?" you shout as Mapi turns around smirking and begins jogging backwards.

"Don't call me María" she grins, knowing you weren't likely to break your rule, "you know I can't" you complain.

"Well then, I guess you'll have to keep up".

*

You spend the next few days trying to wheedle the answer from Mapi but every time she tells you the same thing and eventually you stop trying.

It's only when you happen to catch Mapi and Ingrid totally wrapped up in each other after a training session that you're mind unexpectedly jumps to what it would be like if that was you and Alexia.

The change of your thoughts is so sudden that you tear your eyes away from the couple and scold yourself for allowing your feelings to get the better of you, hurrying inside where you can hopefully get away from these emotions.

"Y/N, can we talk?".

The last thing you wanted to do was run into Alexia before she left, but the captain reached out for your wrist as you passed in the corridor and had prevented you from escaping.

"Are we really doing this now? You're about to fly to Paris!" you pull your arm away from her grip, "go collect your shiny new trophy and then we can talk" you hiss, spinning on your heels and walking away.

"Ven conmigo".

Her words catch you off guard, stopping you dead in your tracks, "come with me" she repeats, your back still turned, "por favor" she almost begs as your whole body shakes with emotion, fists curling up at your sides; the adrenaline races through your veins.

You attempt to control your breathing before turning back around but the pleading yet soft look in Alexia's eyes practically takes it away again.

"Please" she breathes.

"Why? What possible reason could there be for you wanting me there?" you frown.

Alexia starts moving towards you, one very slow and precise step at a time, "you are the only person I have ever loved and if I can't have the person I love with me then I don't want to go" she explains, stopping right in front of you.

She is so close you can see the flecks of gold in her eyes, the smattering of freckles across her nose and cheeks, the midfielder reaching down to find your hand once again.

"You love me?" you scoff half heartedly but Alexia doesn't back down, "si, te quiero mucho" her eyes never leave their mark and the hand gripping yours squeezes gently.

You drop your eyes to the floor, "I don't know if I can do this again Ale...".

"Even if you don't feel the same" she pauses, voice full of emotion and takes a rather deep breath, "I'd still like you to be there" her voice now waivers and you chance a look back at her. There are tears in her eyes and even though she is trying to hold on, they are threatening to spill over, something that makes you instinctively lift a hand to her cheek; wiping them away.

"I don't have anything to wear" you whisper and her eyes widen, "you'll come?".

You nod "si, if you want me there, I'll be there".

*