Long distance - Ona Batlle

A/N - rewrote this one for Tumblr, so thought I'd post it here too.

Prompt - Ona is moving back to Spain and your relationship turns long distance.

*

"I'm not renewing my contract with" Ona says, taking your hands in hers, "ok... I'm sensing something else is going on here" you reply, frowning.

"I'm going back to Barcelona".

"Ok. To play for Barcelona?" you ask and Ona nods, smiling a little despite the situation you find yourselves in, "yes, they've offered me a contract. I've always wanted to go back. I have fond memories of playing with the likes of Patri and Leila...".

She trails off.

"Ona?".

The defender looks at you nervously, biting her lip, "that's amazing querida" you smile and she visibly relaxes, "I am so glad you will be somewhere you can enjoy your football and you'll be closer to home...".

Now it's your turn to trail off.

"Mi amor?" Ona asks, lifting a hand to your cheek and smiling when you nuzzle into it, "what about us?" you ask.

"What about us?".

"Well you're going to be in Spain and I'm going to be here. How are we going to make this work?" you ask sadly and Ona picks up your hand and kisses the back of it, "listen to me. Barcelona is what, a two hour flight away? Anytime you need and I'll pay. I'll send you the fixture list as soon as it comes out and we can FaceTime" she explains.

"And then there's always the possibility you move out there with me" she mutters the last bit under her breath, "as much as I'd like to, I can't leave my job. You know that".

Ona sighs, "I know. Lo siento".

She ducks her head and your fingers reaching out to gently lifting her chin, bringing her gaze back to yours, "don't be sorry, if I could go with you I would. I love you and I will do everything I can to make this work. Ok?".

Your girlfriend nods as tears filling her eyes and you reach up, wiping your thumb across her cheek when they start to fall.

You lean in and kiss Ona with all the passion and feeling in the world as she holds on to you tightly, worried that if she lets go, you might disappear before she's ready to say goodbye.

*

Two weeks later

"I'm going to miss you so much, mi amor".

Ona wraps her arms around you in an attempt to bring you closer than you already are, "me too querida, but you need to do this, you said that yourself and if it means being apart then so be it" you admit, kissing the end of her nose.

"I'm only a phone call away and if you want to come and visit, just text me and I'll make all the arrangements".

You nod and lean in to kiss her softly, caressing her cheeks with your thumbs.

"I have to go" Ona breathes, resting her forehead against yours, the silence between you conveying more than any words can as she presses her lips to your skin then grabs her suitcase and walks towards the gate, turning back once more to blow you a kiss before disappearing.

*

One month later

You found the first few days without Ona pretty normal, it was as if she was away on camp with the national team, sending you a good morning text and FaceTiming you every night, but after the first two weeks passed, it begin to sink in that she wasn't coming home.