I didn't make it - Fridolina Rolfö

Prompt - reader doesn't make the squad for their home Euros.

*

It felt like your whole life had been a waste of time.

Not called up to play in your home Euros, how bad of a footballer must you be to squander away the chance of a lifetime.

And what was Frida going to think of you?

She already knew she would be playing, she'd heard a week or before you and you still remember the excitement in her voice when she rang to tell you the news, both of you still holding out hope that you would soon receive the same news.

"Y/N?" Frida hesitantly calls out your name, gently wrapping her knuckles on the door, "can I come in?".

You'd been barricaded in the bedroom ever since you got back from St. George's Park, the Swede out at the time and not expecting you home so soon, had returned to your sobs echoing through the house and instantly knew you hadn't made the 23.

"Kärlek?".

If there was anything that made you break, no matter the situation, it was when Frida called you that but on this occasion you didn't want to face anyone, not even your own girlfriend.

"I'm really sorry you didn't get in" she whispers.

You did too, but you weren't about to let her know that as you sat deliberating your entire playing career and whether you wanted to even step foot on the pitch again, "if there's anything I can do, anything at all, please let me know" the forward says voice wavering.

She just wanted to be able to take away your pain, it didn't matter how she did it but she wanted, no needed to do something to take you mind off it.

"Jag älskar dig. Remember that" she adds.

"No matter what you do or don't accomplish, I will be there every step of the way, cheering you on, supporting you in every way possible to get you to where you want to be".

Feeling she can do no more to comfort you, she turns and walks away, her footsteps echoing not only down the hall but also in your mind.

Drawing your knees to your chest, you bury your head as the tears begin to flow again, rocking back and forward and eventually lulling yourself to sleep.

*

The next morning you find yourself under the covers, despite not remembering how you got there and know that Frida must have come in to check on you.

You check your phone and see that it's already eleven o'clock as well as the several messages you have received from teammates and family alike, ignoring them all and reading the little piece of paper that Frida tucked underneath the device, instantly feeling dreadful about the way you treated her the previous night.

'Kärlek,

I have gone to meet up with the team. You have a flight booked for Stockholm on the 28th as well as game tickets sent to your phone. Ps. I left you your favourite jersey ;)

Jag älskar dig, Frida x'.

Her words bring a small smile to your face, her thoughtfulness never failing to surprise you, but then the harsh reality of your situation sets in.

You mope around like this for a week or so, your mood dipping significantly when you force yourself to watch the girls against Belgium and the Netherlands to see what a. you were missing out on and b. how they got on without you.

The one person you messaged other than your mum, was Steph, the former captain feeling as distraught, if not more so about her snub.

You met up for coffee on the morning of your flight to Sweden and talked through everything, the defender reassuring you that you'd be picked by Sarina again and that it was only a matter of time before you became a household name within the squad.

This did little to settle your nerves that had started to set in at the thought of seeing Frida for the first time since you got back from camp.

You'd found another note attached to the shirt she'd left you, this one much along the same lines as the other one and then a whole host of them dotted around the house, reminding you of how proud she was and how she couldn't wait to see you.

So now, as you waited in the 'friends and family' section after the game, all you could think about was how to make it up to her.

"Kärlek?".

Even the sound of Frida's voice was enough to make you smile after not seeing her for so long, "hi".

Your voice comes out just above a whisper as you move to hug your girlfriend over the barrier, "I'm very happy you decided to come" she smiles.

"How are you?".

"I'm ok" you swallow hard, "I saw Steph before I left and she said some really nice things. Grattis till vinsten älskling".

Frida smiles.

"You're so cute when you speak Swedish" you blush as she reaches out and softly tucks a piece of hair behind your ear, "and even cuter when you blush" she adds, kissing your cheek as you feel the guilt creep up on you.

"I'm sorry about my behaviour the other week. I didn't think of how my reaction affect you and it wasn't fair to shut you out".

You drop your gaze from Frida's, nervously wringing your hands.

She sighs, "there is absolutely nothing to be sorry about. Everyone reacts in different ways and I do not blame you for anything. You have a right to be upset and angry about not being chosen, but it's how you fight back" she explains, bringing a hand up to your cheek, smiling as you lean into her touch.

Her actions bring your eyes back to hers and she pulls you into a tight hug, "I see you wore the jersey I left for you" she smirks.

"I did. And all the notes you left me. Tack, min älskade".

"Anything for you, kärlek".

*