Chapter 42 | Risen

Start from the beginning

"It's nothing compared to the one next to me," He teases me.

"Shut up," I playfully push his shoulder.

I sigh and place my head on his arm, admiring the ocean and sky. The subtle sounds of the waves hitting the shore calm my soul. Surprisingly, the pain in my side has subdued, causing me to finally relax.

My head moves with Blake's large breaths, causing me to hold his arm steady.

After a couple of minutes of silence, I speak,

"Do you think that heaven is real?"

"I'm not sure," Blake responds pretty quickly. His deep voice comes from his chest as he talks.

He must've been thinking about the same thing.

"I've always wondered where my mom went after she died," He says as he stares towards the horizon with longing eyes.

"Blake," I whisper, "I do not doubt that Maria was a wonderful person; anyone can attest to that. So, if there is a heaven up there, she is watching down on you."

This causes him to slightly smile, and dig his fingers into the wet sand beside him.

"I'm not sure if I'll go to heaven," He admits.

Sometimes I forget that he is a literal Mafia leader and has blood on his hands. It pains me to think about all the horrible things he must've had to do for his job.

I nestle my head further into his large arm.

"That's for you to decide," I calmly assure him, "I think you deserve a spot up there right next to your mom."

Blake sighs while planting a kiss on my forehead.

"I don't deserve you," He looks into my eyes.

His perfect cheeks and sharp jawline shine against the subdued light of the sunset.

God, he's so perfect.

"And I don't deserve you," I appeal.

Blake purses his lips before moving them towards mine.

The sweet tingling of his tongue in my mouth sends fireworks into my stomach. The pain from my side has almost disappeared from this euphoria.

I pull back for a breath and repute,

"Blake Wright, I think I may be in love with you."

He forms a smile with those perfect lips, and it sends an arrow straight through my heart.

"Finally," He whispers, "I was beginning to think I was the only one completely and utterly infatuated."

When he says the word infatuated, his teeth brush his bottom lip and it may be my new favorite thing to watch.

"Can I play the hot seat for a minute?" I ask.

I want to be honest with him before I truly allow myself to fall for Blake Wright.

He nods, leaning in to listen to my words.

"Before the night that you barged into my room, I was having some second thoughts."

Blake seems embarrassed when I mention his breakdown. Then, he realizes what I just said and asks,

"Second thoughts about what?"

"My treatment."

His face displays a look of worry.

"I didn't want anything to do with chemotherapy. My parents had to force me to accept it."