Chapter 29: The Betrayal

"Edgar? Where is Angelie?"

Edgar looked at me with an apologetic look while he grabbed something from his vest.

"What- EDGAR NO!"

I quickly ran to him and tackled him down to the ground. This traitor was about to call in for an alert on his device. I was stronger than him so it took me no more than one minute to completely stop him from struggling.

"I thought you were with us," I grunted and threateningly looked down at him. I won't think twice about making this guy unconscious.

"Y-you don't know how hard it is being the youngest security. This is my chance to earn a rank."

I didn't even let him talk further and punched him straight in his face. I tightly gripped his collar and banged his head against the ground, and just like that, he was unconscious.

I stood up and dragged his body inside a cubicle. My eyes went to our only way out of here, but I can't go without Angelie.

"Next time then." 

I gave the unconscious Edgar one last look before fleeing the place immediately before Angelie can get there. I went to the medical bay because it is now my time to assist Doctor Bailey.

"Fredrick, I thought you wouldn't make it." She smiled which made her eyes squint.

I smiled with pursed lips before asking Doctor Bailey what can I do.

"Well, we don't have patients coming around yet, why don't you sterilize these instead."

She passed me a basket full of medical equipment, I nodded and directly went to the washing room. As I was cleaning the equipment, I was also thinking about the next plan, hopefully not a failure like the previous one.

The metal pieces of equipment clatter as I placed them back in the basket to let them sit there for a few minutes. To not waste time, I brought out the device again and tried to contact Kalia. It was silent for a few minutes until I heard incoming feedback, which means that someone has picked it up.

I rejoiced and happily took small jumps. "Hello?"

"What's this?" The voice came out fuzzy but I can still make out what they are saying.

"Kalia? It's me, Anne."

"Anne?! Where are you and Angelie now?"

I sighed and leaned against the wall. "We're still inside the Council. Listen, I need your help."

I tried making my voice hushed as much as possible because Doctor Bailey is literally just a few inches away from the door. 

"Of course! What is it?"

"I need you to drive here at midnight."

The line went silent which made me panic a little. 

"Sorry, but that...seems impossible because the place is full of security."

"You won't take the front entrance, Kalia."

I explained to her where she needs to go and she easily understood it. Kalia agreed and even offered to bring more people with her but I said that the security might get suspicious. 

"I will see you all later, and Anne? Please be careful."

A smile formed my lips. "You too."

I ended the call and took the device back to my pocket. 

It was time to get back to Doctor Bailey so I took the pieces of equipment and left the washing room.

"Here you go." 

Doctor Bailey thankfully smiled and went back to reading the paper she was holding earlier. We both quietly sat inside the room while waiting for someone to come in. Who am I kidding? these people barely need medical attention. 

"I was told that you got your license at an early age?" Doctor Bailey addressed the elephant in the room.

I nodded and she smiled. "Good for you."

"Thanks." I smiled but it didn't reach my eyes. 

The reason why I got my license at such an early age is that Martha was getting sick at that time and the Council doesn't come by the Sections regularly. The medic at Section 1 happily trained me, which I was thankful for.

We started a small talk that soon turned the room into a bunch of laughter. Until a patient was rushed inside the room and we immediately took action.

My eyes widen at the person laying on the bed. I remained frozen when I saw an unconscious Angelie being transferred to another bed. The security talked to Doctor Bailey in hushed voices, I saw the discomfort on her face but she still nodded.

The security gave me a look before leaving Angelie with us.

"Let's not waste any time, Doctor Bailey." I rushed to Angelie's side and started to check her vital signs.

"Fredrick...back off. There's nothing we can do about her." Bailey painfully smiled before drawing the curtains to block my view of Angelie.

I furrowed my forehead. "What? She was brought here."

"I know, but I'm afraid that the Council won't let us perform a thorough analysis."

I looked at Doctor Bailey with a sad look. "Is she going to be alright?"

I saw the worry in Doctor Bailey's eyes before nodding with a small smile.

"She has to be."

The Remnant of the Past (GXG)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें