Chapter 12

I don't eat. I don't talk. I don't move from the spot Max left me. I wait for him. He promised me that he would come back. I will wait for him until I die. I lay on the ground and close my eyes.

*******

I awake to the sound of a beeping noise. This time, it's not a bomb. It sounds more like something you would hear in the hospital. I open my eyes and the lights are so bright, that I close my eyes again. I slowly open my eyes and I am, in fact, lying in a hospital bed.

"Oh! You're awake. Welcome back Ms. Lewis," I hear a nurse tell me.
"What happened? Where am I?" I ask with a groggy voice.
"Sweetie, you're in the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor. Someone found you in a desert far away and brought you here. I'm Anne, by the way," she says, friendly.

I lay my head back on my pillow. I take a deep breath in and exhale. Anne puts a shot in my arm but I don't feel it. It's nothing like the pain of losing my friends.

*******

After a week, I am finally out of the hospital. It took a while to heal me but I'm good as new. I start to walk home but I decide to get a coffee. I order a tall dark roast. I drink my coffee and finish it within minutes. I have a lot of energy so I'll take a walk on the beach.

When I'm on the beach, I feel the breeze in my hair and I hear the waves crash against the shore. My love for nature has never died. Just like my love for Adeline and Maxwell.

Something catches my eye. It's a wine bottle with a note in it. Deep down inside, I have a feeling it's for me. I pick it up and pull the corkscrew off. I open the soggy, folded paper and read the words.

Meet me in the coffeeshop.
~M