Chapter 9

Right after Max says that, the man who ran behind the building comes out before us. Physically, he's the complete opposite of Maxwell. The man is short. He looks approximately 5'5. He has fiery red hair. Unlike Max, the man wears glasses and looks nerdy.

"Hiya, mate," the man says to Max, timidly.
"Hiya Rupert! Rupert Arrington,Layla Lewis. Layla, Rupert. Oh! And this is Adeline..."
"Parker," Adeline finishes.
"It's nice to meet you both," Rupert says, quietly.
"It's nice to meet you too," Addy and I say simultaneously. We giggle at our friendship.

"Rupe, can I talk to Layla for a minute? You can talk to Adeline while we're gone," Max asks. Rupert nods to answer him. I hear Adeline try to make small talk and I smile at their cuteness. Max and I walk into the store and I turn towards him.

"Can you explain, please?" I ask, impatiently.
"I was going to tell you but right when I was, Adeline started screaming. This was the news I was supposed to announce," Max explains.
"Oh. Did you call him when I was giving Adeline the 'tour'?"
"Yes. That's exactly what I did."
"Ok then. Maybe Rupert will get a new girlfriend," I say, referring to Adeline. Max smirks and walks to the door.

"Why don't you guys come on in?" Max calls.

*******

When I wake up, I find myself on the bed with Adeline sound asleep next to me. I get up and walk towards the door. Before I can continue walking, I hear Max and Rupert mumbling things.

"You cannot tell anyone about this, is that clear?" Max asks.
"Of course, mate. What are best friends for?" Rupert smiles mischievously. I storm out of the room and see Rupert and Max playing the Game of Life. They both have surprised looks on their faces.

"What are you boys up to?" I ask, angrily.
"What makes you think we are up to something?" Max asks.
"I heard you say something to Rupert and he's not allowed to tell anyone. Isn't that right, Rupert?" Rupert is staring at the floor, sheepishly.
"I-I don't know what you're talking about," he answers.

"Ok. If you guys won't spit it out, I'll just keep bugging you until you tell me," I declare.
"Alright then," Max challenges.
"Fine."

Maxwell and Rupert are hiding something. And I will do anything to find out.