Chapter 3

"When I fell into the ditch, I started floating. It felt like I was being lifted upwards but nobody was beside me. When I opened my eyes, I saw funky colors scattered around. Then, something weird happened. The water started to get warmer and I started sweating, underwater. I couldn't breathe and then everything went black. When I opened my eyes again, it was still dark but my eyes started to adjust. Then I was in a hole, my car exploded and I ended up here."

Max just stares at me with a perplexed look on his face. I knew he wouldn't believe me. I sigh and get up from my seat.

"Thanks for helping out but I think I'm going to try and find a pay phone around here."
"No. Please. This... is actually how I got here."

I just stare at him.

"Last year, I also fell into that ditch and ended up here. I tried and tried to get back home but it was no use. I stayed here alone. Until you came here."
"Wow. An entire year?"

He nods to answer my question. I sit back down and ask him how he survived.

"Well, there's a storage room filled with an extravagant amount of food that'll last for years. There's also a shower and bedroom in here. You're welcome to stay here if you'd like."
"That would be really helpful. Thank you. Do you happen to have any spare clothes? Preferably girl clothes?"
"I believe there is. I'll let you get settled in first and then we can play a game."

He smiles a perfect smile. I go to the back of the store and find a king size bed, a bathroom attached to the room, and the storage room. I place my purse on the couch by the window and take a look around the room.

I see the storage room right by the door to the main store, a dresser and mirror, a walk-in closet, the bathroom, the window behind me, and then the bed.

I decide to look in the storage room for some clothes. I found a light blue t-shirt and leggings. When I go back to the main part of the store, I see Max smiling while sitting at the table waiting for me.

"Welcome Layla Lewis. Are you ready to play the game 20 questions?"