Chapter 1

My name is Layla Lewis. I am a very happy girl with a very fortunate life. I live with my best friend, Adeline Parker, in a 4-story apartment. I work as a psychologist in Chicago, Illinois.

I awake to the sound of Adeline yelling at me. Every morning, she wakes me up by yelling my full name.

"Layla Lynn Lewis!"
"What?"
"Wake up! It's time for work."

I trudge to my bathroom, strip down my pajamas, and get in the shower. 20 minutes later, I'm in my clothes for work. Black dress pants, cream-colored ruffled shirt, navy blue blazer, and black heels.

I eat my Nature Valley granola bar and grab my car keys. When I walk out the door, a breeze of fresh air hits me.

*******

Work is the norm. People with their problems and I have to help them. Blah, blah, blah. When I'm finished with work, I text Adeline and ask her if she wants to go out.

Me: Hey girl. You wanna get some dinner at Panera Bread?
Adeline: Sure. It's a Friday anyway. I could go for some Panera Bread.
Me: Cool. See you there.

I head towards my BMW and get in. It's snowing a little hard so I drive slow. I head towards the freeway when I don't see the truck beside me. Before I know it, the truck hits me and I fall into a ditch.