Chapter 11

Fire. All around me, there is fire. My chest is moving up and down but I can't feel myself breathing. I only see a cloud of smoke making its way into my lungs. Then, I feel a pair of arms lifting me and the arms are in a protective position. A bright light shines in my face and I realize it's the sun. I've been saved.

I look at the person carrying me and see that it's Maxwell. I smile the faintest smile. He set me down on my feet and at first, I stumble around, trying to keep my balance. Max catches me before I hit the ground and I smile big this time. I look around and see Rupert puking and the empty desert. No Adeline.

"Where's Adeline?!" I ask, frightened.
"Layla, please stay calm," Max says. "I only had time to save you and Rupert. I'm so sorry."
"Why don't you go get her while the building is still standing?!" I shout. "You know what, I'll do it myself."

I find myself running towards the shop. Before I can take another step, the entire building is blown into bits. I'm thrown back by the explosion and I hit the ground hard.

"NOOO!" I shriek. "ADELINE! Oh, my gosh! Adeline!" I keep screaming until my throat hurts. I begin to sob and I cannot stop. Why? Why did it have to be her and not me? Maxwell puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Layla, I need you to listen because I don't have that much time," Max explains. "I'm part of a secret society and I was meticulously studying this place. The bombs are a sign that they are going to take me back and study my results. I've had the time of my life here with you and I will never forget it."
"You're leaving? You're leaving me here?" I ask, breathless.
"I will come back here. I promise."

The moment he says this, we hear a gunshot and see Rupert fall to the floor. From a helicopter above, a ladder falls from the sky. Hesitantly, Max climbs the ladder and leaves me alone in the dark.