(10) cool cat on skates

"THIS MIGHT JUST BE YOUR WORST IDEA YET" Robin stated, her face encapsulated in purple lights that flowed from the ceilings. Sam couldn't take her eyes off the girl, the way she'd tied some of her hair up with a tight black band. That she wore a Bowie T-shirt and ripped jeans that revealed her slightly tanned thighs and knees laced with soft bruises, all of a bluish hue.

"Don't sweat it Buckley, it'll be fun" Steve shrugged as he sat on one of the sticky seats outside the rink. Sam watched the twirling lights capture Robin's eyes for a moment. They shone like gems in hidden treasure troves. Her lips glossed in cherry and goodness.

"Right Sam?" Steve looked up hopefully.

It had only been two days since the unlikely friendship between Sam and Steve had formed but for some reason since that day, Sam hadn't been feeling so shit. To be fair, she had genuinely enjoyed insulting Harrington and she would continue to do so mainly because it made her heart light up in humour. At least now he knew she never really meant it.

She also realised, Steve was in fact not an asshole. Maybe she'd been unfair to judge him based on his actions in high school considering back then she hadn't exactly been kind. It was clear that he wasn't the cool, popular guy anymore but a bit of an idiot who really liked making stupid jokes and hanging out with kids in a totally not weird way (his words).

This was the first time Sam was spending any time outside of Scoops Ahoy with him and she figured it probably wouldn't be the last considering their new friendship. She simply hoped that Robin would always be invited to these small endeavours. After all, she didn't think she could cope with Steve's company on her own.

It was strange seeing Steve out of his sailor getup. Sam had forgotten that he wore other clothes but today for the occasion he wore an obnoxiously funky shirt with short sleeves, pattered in shapes that stood out in primary colours against the white. He had light wash jeans rolled up slightly that fit him perfectly, Sam wished she could find some jeans that fit her like that.

"Yeah... fun" Sam shrugged as she sat on the seat beside Harrington and started to unlace her heavy leather boots.

"I'm still not sure about this" Robin sat opposite the two of them, "I don't mean the roller skating although I can confirm that it is a horrendous idea. I mean you two... being friendly"

"Don't be a bummer" Steve rolled his eyes, "thought you'd be happy that we're finally getting on?"

"I'm just not convinced you're being serious" Robin stated as she pulled her crimson converse from her feet. Sam noted that her socks were patterned in cats. Could she love this girl more?

"Oh we're deadly serious" Sam smiled, "right best friend?"

"Don't push it" Steve muttered as he pulled one of the roller skates onto his feet. Sam laughed as she followed suit, noticing the complete dread that had skated over Robin's eyes at the sight of the illuminated orange wheels.

"I think you're pranking me" Robin sighed, "about the skating this time, you know I have absolutely zero coordination, this is like my worst nightmare. I still don't know how you managed to rope me into this"

"Bonding" Steve grinned, "anyway don't worry, I'll teach you"

"You?" Sam raised her eyebrows, "I think you'll find, I'll be teaching Buckley"

"What makes you think you'd be a better teacher than me?" Steve stared back challengingly.

"Um I don't know maybe because I'm an absolute legend at roller skating"

"Since when?" Steve scoffed.

"Since always Harrington" Sam smiled as she tied her laces, "back in the days where I had friends I used to go to secondary school parties and all the way up to freshman year where did these girls want to go, roller rinks. I'm telling you I've seen the inside of this dump more times than you could possibly count".