chapter 12: pineapple from a can

⚠️ TW ⚠️ mentions of blood and a black eye
Eddie ~
Steve parks and I go inside. I grab an icepack and some bandages. "Hey Munson! Been awhile since I last seen you here!" The woman at the register calls out. "Oh uh hey." I put the stuff I got for Steve on the counter in front of her. "How are things going with your dad? I heard he's out." "None of your damn business." I mumble.

She looks shocked then starts scanning my items. "$7.45" I hand her the money and she puts the icepack and bandages into a bag and slams it in front of me. I grab it and look back at her before walking out. "And, don't ever talk about him again."

I walk out and get in the car. "I got an icepack for your eye and, bandages for your back in case it's bleeding. If it starts to hurt you even more, let me know and I can pick you up some pain meds." "You really know your stuff Munson." Steve looks at me. "Thanks." "You're welcome." He starts to drive back to his house and I ask "Why don't we pick up some pizza?" He turns into the parking lot of the pizza place and hands me his wallet. "Here. Don't get pineapple." He looks at me and chuckles a little. "Yes, sir." I say sarcastically and walk into the entrance.

"Welcome to surfer boys pizza! What can I get ya?" "Um can I get one jalapeno and pineapple pizza please, and one pepperoni." "Is that all I can get you for today?" "Yes that's all." "Okay great! Your total is $15.87" I hand the man cash and some change. "It'll be about a 10 minute wait. Is that alright?" I nod and head back to the car.

"He said it would be 10 minutes." I hand his wallet back to him. "I wanna get a dog." Steve says, out of the blue. "Wow. Um okay? We can go look tomorrow?" "Thank youuuu." "Of course!" I sat down in the car and shut the door. I looked at him and saw his head bleeding. "Oh my god Steve! What happened?" "What do you mean?" He asked. "There's blood pouring from your head!"

I grab a rag that was lying in the backseat and started to apply pressure. "So that's why I was feeling a little lightheaded huh?" "Yeah Steve! There's no telling how much blood you've lost! I'm gonna take you to the hospital and they're going to fi-" "No. No hospitals." "But steve-" "I've spent the last two months in the hospital. No. Hospitals." "Okay. Well then at least let me put some bandages over it.

He nods and I grab the gauze from the bag and wrap it around his head. "There. Better?" "Yes. Thank you." "You're welcome Steve. If it keeps bleeding though, I am going to take you to a hospital." "Fine." I kiss his cheek and walk back into the restaurant. "Here you go sir. Have a great night!" I grab the pizzas and walk back to the car. "Steve, you okay?" "I'm fine." "Okay, let me drive." He looks at me and asks "Is this really necessary?" "Yes it's necessary!" I exclaim.

He rolls his eyes and switches seats with me. I start the car and pull out of the parking lot. As I'm driving to his house, Steve turns up the song playing on the radio. "Eddie my looooove" he starts to sing. I glance over at him and smile. "I love you sooooo. Eddie my love. I love you so. How I've wanted for you, you'll never know." I start to blush and I turn to Steve again. "Stop itttt." I say playfully. He actually has a really nice singing voice. "Please Eddie. Don't make me wait to loooong." He sings.

I keep smiling and then he stops singing. I look over at him and his eyes are closed. "Steve?" I look over at him. "Yes?" He asks, not opening his eyes. "Are you okay?" I ask, looking back at the road. "Yeah I'm just thinking." "About what?" I ask. "What are we going to do after graduation?" He asks.

Steve ~
"I have no idea, Harrington." Eddie replies to my question. "I've always wanted to travel. See the world." He says. "What about college?" I ask. "Wait. Are you planning to go to college?" "Are you not?" We pull into my driveway. "We have a month to decide. Don't worry about it right now." Eddie says looking at me. I grab the pizzas and walk in, setting them on the counter.

"We're home!" I yell. I see a note on the fridge. I grab the yellow note and scan over it. It says "Hey Steven. We are so sorry but we had to leave for an emergency conference. The money is in the safe for the bills. Eddie is welcome to stay for as long as he would like. Sincerely, mom and dad."

"Really?!" I yell. "What is it?" I hand him the note and he sets it down. "I'm sorry love." He said, sounding sincere. "It's okay. They always do this. They'll probably miss my graduation too. I'm not surprised." "I'm sorry Steve. I doubt they will miss it." "They missed all of my other ones." He sighed and held me in his arms until someone was knocking on the door. "I got it." I say. I walk over to the door and see Wayne, Eddie's uncle. "Hey Mr. Munson, do you want me to get Eddie?" "Just give him this and tell him that I'm sorry. His father is staying with me for awhile and I don't think Eddie would be to fond of that so, here are all of his clothes and his guitar. Can he stay here for a little bit?"

"Uh.. I'm going to go get Eddie." "Eddie!" I yell. He runs to me and opens the door. He shuts it behind him and I hear yelling then Eddie opens the door looking furious, and slams the door right in Wayne's face. "Are you okay?" I ask. "My uncle just kicked me out because of my dad." He grabbed the boxes of pizza and set them down on the table in front  of the couch. We sat down together and started to grab a slice of pizza. "Really? You got pineapple? Fruit doesn't go on pizza!" I say. "Try before you deny!"

We start to laugh and he shoves a slice in my mouth. While I'm chewing, he grabs a slice for himself and asks "So, how is it?" "It's good? Like really good." I say, surprised. "I told you!" He starts to eat his slice. "Well we've had a long day." I say, sighing. I lay my head on his lap and look to the ceiling. "Yeah. I still can't believe he just kicked me out. No bye, No sorry, just handed me a bag of all my stuff and my guitar and acted like everything was fine?" He looks down at me and asks "You looked really happy today when we weren't talking." "Eddie, do you honestly think I was fine? I mean I know my hair is quite distracting, but come on, really?"

"I don't know. I just thought you were glad that we weren't talking." "No of course I wasn't! I love you!" I give him a quick peck on the lips. "I love you too." He mumbled back. "I'm going to head up to bed. Goodnight." Eddie says, sounding frustrated. "Eddie are you mad at me?" I ask.

"Not everything revolves around King Steve, believe it or not." He snapped at me. He's never gotten mad at me before. I sigh. I wait for him to go in his room and slam his door before I run upstairs and go in my bedroom and slam the door too. I understand that he's upset, but he doesn't have to be mean to me. I have been nothing but nice and supportive to him.

A/N: hey readers! i hope you enjoyed this chapter! also, i just hit 100 reads yesterday and im about to hit 200 today?! that's crazy!  thank you all for reading! much love♥️
words ~ 1383