Strangers Conversing 3rd Night (54)

Start from the beginning

Perhaps it tracks on movement primarily and sound?

Your brain quickly forms a half ass plan. There are pens spilled on the floor with some other office odds and ends. Some are right under you so moving as slow as possible and then take your fingers to 'flick' a pen across the room. You have luck it seems as the pen skims across the floor all the way to the front door. The ghoul locks onto the movement and scrambles for the pen. Its nails make enough noise it doesn't hear you pass behind it.

You quietly tip toe up the winding stairs. As you reach the top your eyes spot a fire fighting axe. Your back presses to the white wall of the vacant second floor and you scoot along to the metal box that holds the tool. You hide as well as you can so only your fingers are moving to unlatch your new found friend, the axe.

Ghouls are just like splitting wood....right?

The axe just slips into both hands when the telltale sign of brittle nails starts to tap. You begin to count the taps. It is one ghoul or more?

Holding still and waiting worked down below. You take a long, slow breath in and hold it as the tapping gets closer. It's looking for you now. It's now a matter of who spots the other sooner.

(Y/n) finally sees two soulless, black eyes register you and then its head is rolling on the floor for a second until turning to dust. You push your feet off the floor then do a move through with the axe in front of your body. And for whatever reason, you watched too many Viking shows and movies, no matter your ethnicity, your are that dumb luck hero from Shaun of the Dead. You swing and decapitate the ghoul before it turns its head to notice you going by.

'Wow! This is fucking amazing! Eat your heart out Joseph Campbell and George Lucas! It's all about the power of the myth of the ✓hero in real life!'

A tapping sound removes you from your little Bilbo Baggins daydream on your importance in the universe. The tapping sound is now undetectable as the scream of a small child echoes through the empty halls. The ghouls decide the screaming child is more appealing.

'Get a visual and make a plan' your head hums.

You think you locate the hall the child is in and crouch down to stalk. You look at each spot before you set your foot down as you continue to clear your view as if driving a car. It takes you ten minutes to reach where the child is but to go faster and get caught doesn't help anyone. Your eyes barely make out the ghoul scratching at a bathroom door handle.

How to distract it so you can get a kill shot on it?

A steel bed pad is resting on the floor. You remember as you almost kicked it when you stopped at the door. If you live to tell this tale perhaps the Olympics will put steel bedpan discus in as a medal event?

Heh that would just fucking funny or so you think at 3 am in the moring. Your preferred dominate hand, cups around the bed pan as you give a couple arm flexes outside the hospital room. Then you just fling it as hard as you can and pray it does something, right?

Not only does something happen but it's better than you had planned. The impromptu weapon collides with the ghoul's head and smashes it to dust. The body staggers then plummets to the floor as ash too.

Now back to tiptoeing into the room but not BEFORE shutting the door and locking it. Apparently cheesy horror films do prepare you for zombie attacks...err vampire ghouls?

(Y/n) reaches the door and gives the handle a jiggle. What could reassure that little kid?

(Y/n) softly hums then whispers the first words to Danny boy, "Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling..."