Chapter 47

I watch on in awe and horror as the desert sucks in the last of the oasis, a column of sand spewing out from the ground as the last bits of it disappear forever. "They have to have made it out." I whisper, looking for any sign of them amongst the settling sand.

"Look up ya amar." He says, pointing towards the sky. Like a small cloud, the dirigible stood out in the otherwise pristine blue of the Saharan sky.

"Oh thank goodness." I breathe a sigh of relief. We ride over to where they are, and I can clearly see Rick, Evy, Alex and Jonathan. I can only assume that Izzy is piloting the thing. I look up and wave in farewell as Ardeth whispers an Arabic saying before bringing his hand to his lips, then his forehead. Rick salutes us while Evy waves before they take off.

Not one to be outdone, Ardeth pulls the horse up into a rear before we take off across the desert, rejoining the others on our journey home.

*Several Days Later*

We walk into camp and those remaining cheer. I anxiously look around for my children, my face breaking out into a true smile. "Asir, Leila!" I scream before running to them and gathering them both in my arms as I pepper their faces with kisses.

"Umi!" they both squeal before wriggling free from my grasp and running to their father. "Baba!" I roll my eyes fondly, happy that Ardeth seems to have been able to put the anger surrounding the death of his brother and father to rest now that justice had been served on those responsible. They would be able to get to know the version of their father that I fell in love with. The one who couldn't wait to be a father.

"He looks at peace." Rahima notes, coming to stand beside me.

I let out a deep sigh, the first real breath I had been able to take in weeks. "He is. There is no longer any way for the creature to return topside. Any and all traces of it have since been destroyed or lost, really lost. Of course there are always other ruins and sacred temples that need our protection, but this horrible threat, well it can finally rest."

"And you can focus on your family. Enjoy this time, it'll pass by far too quickly for your liking." She says and I go to join my husband and children, relishing in the sense of peace that has once again taken over the village. This new life... this one would be good. 

The End