Chapter 22

*2 Months Later*

It took two months to put everything together. Messengers were sent out to the eleven other tribes as soon as I said yes, informing them of the chief's impending nuptials. Rahima got to work right away working on my dress for the ceremony. She was doing an amazing job at blending our two cultures together into the most perfect dress.

I was getting married tomorrow. That didn't seem real. It didn't seem real that six months ago, the world almost ended. It had been six months since I lost Jack. The absence of him, and the rest of my family, left me in tears whenever I thought about it for too long. Thankfully the council allowed Rick and Evy to attend so I had some friendly faces for my side. The tribe had been very accepting of me. I still got some heated looks from some of the women my age who had yet to get married for taking the most eligible bachelor of the tribe off the market. Or at least that was the reason Rahima had given me. We both had laughed at that.

Aman, Nasir, Rick, and the rest of Ardeth's friends were doing their best to keep Ardeth busy and us apart for the remaining twenty-four hours until sunset tomorrow when the ceremony was taking place. I had Evy and Rahima to keep me busy with last minute details and tonight they were doing some kind of bachelorette party. Evy had insisted upon it and seeing it was an American tradition, Rahima got on board as a way to bring some of my traditions to this whole affair. Really all it was going to consist of was us sitting around with tea or coffee and talking for a couple of hours, which was what we had been doing for the past three days since Rick and Evy had arrived in the village.

Once the sun had been down for a couple of hours, Evy and I left for my tent, where she would be staying for the night. "Are you nervous for tomorrow?" Evy asked on the walk back.

"Honestly, no. I know that Ardeth is who I want to be with forever. I'm a little sad. I wish my family could be here but I'm really not ready to face them yet, so I guess I can't be too upset. I mostly just wish Jack was here, telling me that I'm going to be ok and that our parents' inevitable disapproval is shit." I was trying my best not to cry. Puffy eyes were hard to mask, and I didn't want Ardeth to be scared when he saw me tomorrow.