Chapter 8

I came to in someone's arms. Whoever they were, they were tall, that much I could tell because I was getting a weird sense of vertigo. Turning my head slightly, I saw a black clad chest. Before I had the opportunity to look up, I heard guns being cocked and saw Rick, Evy, Jonathan, Jack, and Daniels come to a screeching halt in front of us. "What are you doing with my sister you sick freak?" Jack yelled at the one holding me. I felt the vibrations of whoever he was as he spoke.

"I told you to leave or die. You refused. Now you may have killed us all for you have unleashed the creature that we have feared for more than three thousand years." It was Ardeth who had me.

"Relax, I got him" Rick said.

"No mortal weapon can kill this creature. He is not of this world." As Ardeth said this, two of his men brought out Bernard. Wiggling to get down, I fell out of his arms and over to my brother and Daniels who were holding him. I checked over Bernard and was shocked that he no longer had his beautiful blue eyes, or his tongue. He moaned in pain as I ran my fingers through his hair, trying to soothe him.

"You bastard." Daniels yelled at them.

"What did you do to him?" Jack accused.

"Jack, they didn't do this." I told him quietly. I then went on to explain how we got separated and how the creature came for us.

"We saved him. Saved him before the creature could finish his work. Leave, all of you, quickly, before he finishes you all." He gestured to his men, "Yalla. Imshi." His men moved, making their way back into the tunnels. "I must now go on the hunt and try and find a way to kill him." He finished before walking to join his men.

"I already told you, I got him." Rick said again.

"Know this. This creature is the bringer of death. He will never eat, he will never sleep, and he will never stop." He turned to join his men. I quickly got up from my place by Berny and walked over to him.

"Thank you, for saving us." I said quietly. He looked startled, not expecting me to be fluent in Arabic.

"You are welcome. Please be careful on your journey back. Be quick." With one last glance, he left to join the rest of his men on the hunt. We packed up quickly, leaving behind anything that was not of importance, racing out of the city and back to Cairo. We rode hard. I tried to focus on the road ahead, but my treacherous thoughts kept going back to how it felt to be in his arms. I already knew that he must be strong. It takes great strength to be able to use a sword for an extended amount of time, but in his arms, I could feel his biceps and abs beneath his robes. I blushed. I shouldn't be having these thoughts. They were unseemly for a young, unmarried woman to be having about a man. Plus, I had bigger problems. Starting with how I was going to protect my brother and friends from this thing.