Chapter 2: My Life

Start from the beginning

Flicking out the light, I try to focus on the world outside my bedroom, outside of this house. I check my watch several times throughout the night after each unsuccessful "attempt" at sleeping. The last time that I see on my watch is four forty-one, where the date of June 29th is shown. I finally feel myself starting to go numb, almost as if I were under the influence of a drug as well, trying to let a false euphoria take over...

|||

My alarm from my watch begins to beep, startling me awake almost instantly. I turn it off, wishing that I had been able to sleep more last night. Today is my last day of Grade 9 and I'm writing my final exam, in my best subject––science. I get out of bed and begin to get ready, by brushing my teeth, washing my face. I then put some makeup over my pimple-covered face––not that anyone would notice. Finally, I tie my blonde hair in a ponytail and get dressed. I gather all of my science notes and books, stuffing them in my malfunctioning backpack and closing my bedroom door.

I make my way into the kitchen, where my mother is sitting at the counter with a mug of instant coffee in her hand, as well as a zombie-like tired look on her face.

"Good morning, Jill," I say, unenthusiastically. For years I have called my parents by their first names. They've lost the respect that the parental titles merit. "Fun night last night?" She scowls at me.

"Don't give me that! Your dad and I had a long day at work yesterday," she replies impatiently, rubbing her temple wearily. I roll my eyes as I open the fridge, only to find it nearly empty. "Did you go grocery shopping last night?", she asks me.

"No, I couldn't. I had to study for my exam last night. Besides, I don't have enough cash to pay for this week, nor do I have a car." Jill bangs her fist on the counter.

"I told you! Your father and I got work to do! We're busy!", she snaps. She stares at me, frowning, as her baggy eyes squint like an old witch. Her teeth are minimally exposed in the sunlight coming through the window, revealing their rotting state.

"Yeah right, work. I totally forgot," I scoff. I grab a granola bar from the counter, checking its best-by date. It's eighteen months expired, but with nothing else in the house, I stuff it in my bag. My mother stands up and grabs my wrist aggressively, almost digging her dirty nails into my arm.

"You're lucky if I let you come home at all, with that mouth," she snarls, her veiny eyes widening. I release myself from her grasp and walk out the door. I don't need to stay and take more of her. She thinks she scares me, but little does she realize how used to her tactics I am. Besides, I have something more important on my mind.

Walking to school has always been a more tolerable part of my day, as there's nobody there to ignore me. I get to walk through some of the nicer parts of town, where I see my favourite restaurant––The Stoneycreek Diner. I also get to pass the park I often go through, which includes a more pleasant view of the woods that stretches for several hundred kilometres north on the edge of town.

As I breathe in the fresh air, I put my earbuds in and listen to some music. I like to walk slowly in the morning, to be in a peaceful solitude for as long as I can. Today is nice and sunny, with the late June heat coming in and my school year mercifully coming to a close. However, I often find that my schoolwork brings me a much needed distraction. It takes my mind away from my home life, and even from the people in class.

With the childhood that I have had, I've never been good at making friends, leaving me to have never really had any before. The truth is, it can be extremely lonely. It also causes issues at school––mainly of having to see hundreds of faces of people who don't know or understand me on a daily basis.