The Unknown

Nini Salazar Robert was a proper lady of the court.

She was prim, graceful, and held an air of prestige for as long as anyone could remember. Thanks partly to her good friend Carlos her reputation as such proceeded her but given recent issues of the publication she finds her grace and patience wearing very thin.

"Carlos!" The Roberts girl exclaims her entrance into the vast space while he nearly fumbles a cup of tea on his lavish couch. Once the staff had alerted the young duchess of the arrival of her friend she knew exactly what type of conversation needed to be held.

"My god Nini lower your voice, you know it echoes in here." Carlos exclaims.

"Not until you stop being a menace to society" NIni admonishes with her arms crossed.

"I have no idea what you mean" Carlos sets his tea cut down on the brown oval table beside the green velvet couch he'd sat on.

"You know exactly what I mean," Nini's tone shifts to something more assertive, "I let it slide last week with the whole 'Ricky and Nini mysteriously disappeared' thing but-"

Carlos shakes his head, "You and I both know it would've been bad journalism if I didn't write that, I have to be-"

"Objective yeah I know, just please cool it with writing about me and Ricky. I'm engaged now." Nini says with a pleading gaze. Her engagement seemed to be going well. The queen had just given the pair her approval at the park's latest soiree, and it seemed her life was back on track. Nini was going to get married and live her days as a Caswell and never want for anything else. 

"I will. I mean there's nothing to post, right?" Carlos asks with a raised brow.

"Yeah of course," Nini replies offhandedly. "Just be sure that when you write about him with anyone else it's not too harsh, I don't want people getting hurt."

"You mean Gina?" Carlos questions. Nini knows better by now while the company she keeps is genuine he has an obligation, one that is in duty to the public. So instead she swallows the discomforting feelings that arise from thinking about her childhood best friend and the mysterious newcomer that her new fiance has adored since early adolescence.

"For what it's worth I don't think there's anything there." Carlos adds with a shrug while carefully studying her sour expression. "And not for lack of trying on Bowens part." He rolls his eyes. "He's definitely putting on the moves. I see right through that boy's games."

Nini still feels a part of herself grow curious. it was not like Ricky to be adept to change, new people included. "How do you even know that?"

"Because he couldn't take his eyes off her when a certain wealthy duke was all over Gina at the soirée, you saw her and Jack." Nini once again finds herself pushing down a green feeling crawling through her and focuses on a new piece of information in his words. 

"He is really dreamy," Nini honestly replies while running her hands through the nonexistent wrinkles in her dress. "Good for her."

"Aht! Keep your eyes on your own man and save some for the rest of the ton."

"I'll have you know I'm very content with mine"

Nini hadn't really known EJ much before the summer. Only in the way, people who pass by them in the hallway of a school know one another. He'd sort of come in after Ricky left like a knight in shining armor ready to preserve her title and future. 

"Where is EJ anyway?" Carlos asks as the shorter brunette girl sits next to him.

"He's volunteered to escort Kourtney to her mother's cottage because she couldn't find anyone at last minute. Isn't he the sweetest?"