Prologue

Lord Whimbleton's Society Papers
20 August 1814

The Season of Diamonds and Rakes

With whispers and rumors galore in the heat of the summer, I'm sure, dear readers, you've all heard and know well by now that the upcoming nuptials between Lord Richard Bowen and Duchess Nina Salazar Roberts are no more. In light of such news, we have to breach soon an astute conclusion.

The topic of rakes has, of course, been previously discussed in this column, and This Author has come to the conclusion that there are rakes, and there are Rakes.

Richard Bowen is a Rake.

A rake (lower-case) is youthful and immature. He flaunts his exploits, behaves with utmost idiocy, and thinks himself dangerous to women.

A Rake (upper-case) knows he is dangerous to women. He thinks of himself and only himself with no regard for the responsibility and role society calls one to be.

He doesn't flaunt his exploits because he doesn't need to. He knows he will be whispered about by men and women alike, and in fact, he'd rather they didn't whisper about him at all. He remains only alive in his incessant scribbling while the rest of the world and his loved ones fade to black. This was made clear when with the harsh heat of June, Richard left celebrations of his engagement abruptly in favor of retreating to a writing escapade in Spain (where some sources tell me he was not alone and could be caught with a different girl on his arm in his time in the countryside if you can believe the further scandal). Leaving poor Duchess Nina heartbroken and husbandless.

Fret not dear reader this story has a happy ending, good things come to those who wait.

For now one can safely claim Lord Richard is most selfish.

Richard can't be blamed of course. He doesn't behave like an idiot for the simple reason that he isn't an idiot any more than can usually be accounted for (or any more so than must be expected among all members of the male gender, with one exception of course). He has little patience for the foibles of society, and quite frankly, most of the time This Author cannot say he blames him.

And if that doesn't describe Lord Richard Bowen— surely this season's not so eligible bachelor—to perfection, This Author shall retire his quill immediately. A question among many remain: Will 1814 be the season he takes an unlucky bride if not the fair Duchess Salazar Roberts?

This Author Thinks...Not.

On another note, in more recent news this season even with its scandals and ever-present Rakes is not one without its glimmering saving graces. The Diamond of the debonair ball and season, as dubbed by the queen, enchanting newcomer, Baroness Genevieve Porter made an impressive debut into society. A debut that according to my sources has left the Baroness with more suitors than she knows what to do with! The curly-haired beauty is certainly taking her time in choosing. One has to wonder if such a sudden appearance and evident splash is a product of convenient timing or even the fates intervening perhaps. What with Elijah James Caswell, who according to an informant, is a close family friend of the Porters. Do we see an incoming proposal on the horizon?

This author is here to confirm we do! but not from the pairing you'd expect. I am here to report (most gleefully) that Duchess Nina Salazar Roberts and Lord Elijah James Caswell are expecting to be wed. The two had been courting in secret in the blaze and beauty of the summer season, Rakes be damned!

One has to wonder if such Rakes regret cowering to take spontaneous writing retreats instead of marrying his eldest companion? This author sincerely doubts it.

_____________

Hey so quick little a/n here's a bit of a run down on the terminology:

Rake/rake: is basically just a fuckboy like you might've gathered.

Diamond of the season is, if you've watched Bridgerton, it's basically this event which all the girls that are of age present themselves to the queen and she decides which of them is the prettiest or the one that's likely to get married first or something vaguely sexist. I don't know but basically men want to covet the 'diamond' obviously. So Gina/Genevieve is going to be the object of a lot of attention from possible suitors.

This entire chapter is basically part of Viscount who loved me by Julia Quinn but adapted by me. Go read it, it's great and I cant wait to see it adapted s2 for Bridgerton.