The Season of Diamonds and Rakes

"Unbelievable!" Lynne Bowen loudly exclaims, the words echo in the expanse of the grand tea room. Ricky resists the urge to roll his eyes knowing his father, who's currently eyeing him down, would not approve of such insolence. The task becomes even harder when he notices his younger sister peeking through the door stifling giggles like the bored little heathen she is.

Upon his arrival back to aristocratic English society Richard Bowen had not been expecting many things. His little sister carrying on as a menacing force of nature in his absence was most definitely to be expected, his father drowning himself in work and his lordship duties was nothing out of the ordinary (in more recent years of course) but his mother berating him for his behavior this summer was most certainly not something he saw coming.

"I took a trip to the countryside to write and nothing more!" Ricky defends from his slumped stature on the couch. The grip on the pillow he clutches closer to his chest tightens.

"No, you had a steady proposal until you decided to throw it away to galavant and write all through the countryside. That's what happened." Lynne lectures "And not alone might I add, because suddenly I have to read the society paper of all things, to know the truth of what's going on with you!" she throws the society paper toward the marble floor and huffs an aggravated breath.

"You do not get to lecture me on responsibility and duty." Ricky snaps, he feels a slight feeling of satisfaction when he notices her expression fall and her posture stiffen at his words.

But of course, his father can't stand for that, "Don't speak to your mother in such a manner." Micheal Bowen swiftly interjects.

"Perhaps she should refrain from doing galavanting of her own on this very property then I wouldn't take such a tone." Ricky readily responds he's glad his mother still has enough shame to look guiltily down toward her shoes (his father doesn't seem to share the same sentiment).

Mike narrows his eyes, "I hope you realize the severity of your actions."

Ricky huffs indignantly, "Apparently I'm not the only one in this house that doesn't realize tha-"

"This is not about your mother or the state of our marriage, frankly that is none of your concern." His father's voice booms, Ricky nearly flinches at the sheer volume. Mike recomposes himself quickly, clearing his throat.

Ricky's eyes move abashed from the floor to look toward the doors, his expression turns into one of quiet dejection when he sees Jas run off. He'd have to check on her later. A flash of anger strikes him because his parents can be so oblivious to how their problems affect their children. He could say what he wanted to Ricky but neither of his sisters, Jas, or his elder sister Catherine deserved such poor treatment.

"These are the bare facts Ricky." Mike presses on, level headed. "You are eighteen years of age, and were betrothed since the age of six to a duchess you've had the privilege of knowing and becoming fast friends with since then." Ricky swallows, the guilt rising within him makes him feel like he suddenly swallowed a stone.

"Until you left for reasons that still, quite frankly, escape me and broke that." Mike incredulously says, "Dragging the reputation of this family through the mud and ruining our relationship with the Salazar Roberts."

"I'm not the one to point fingers to if you want to speak about ruining reputations or family ties." Ricky pointedly says the words and his father's face scrunches showcasing his frustration. "Therein lies the issue, you refuse to take responsibility for anything!" The words lay rest between his son still on the couch and his father looming above him by the small table no longer littered in confections Jas had tried to sneak away earlier.