The Alliance (of sorts)

Lord Whimbleton's Society Papers

12 September 1814

A Night of Nights!

This author is most delighted to report a most successful evening of festivities which was marked by Duchess Nini Salazar Roberts and her dreamy fiance Lord Elijah at the celebration of their upcoming nuptials.

Of course all any one could discuss was a most scandalous appareance by the members of the Bowen clan which shouldn't be all to surprising. After all real estate shares by Micheal Bowen all across town are contracted by Duchess Carol Salazar Roberts herself. The most attention drawn by the tons finest was Ricky Bowen in attendance to his ex-fiances engagement ceremony. This author has to wonder if anyone has informed him he's a few months late.

His only competition is of course our reverant diamond of the season, Miss Genevieve Porter. The attention focused pair seemed at the center of it when he had unexpectedly asked for a dance. Could our diamond be ready to court such a confidante to scandal?

Given the sudden disappearance from both himself and the bride at the same point in the night, this author thinks not.

The court's Tea with the queen had always been known as the social event of the season. The annual soiree at the park was marked by the latest fashions adorned by society's finest, the best confections, and most importantly, the most handsome pairings that just came out of the summer season.

In other words, it ultimately was the greatest playground for scandal. Thus a great source of gossip and content for Lord Whimbleton; and a place where the youngest Caswells realized they had to exercise some caution. They were after all, in the beginning, stages of an incredibly daunting scheme. To be caught now would mean absolute ruin.

The concept was a familiar one to Genevieve considering the impending threat of poverty that seemingly loomed over her every day was becoming more and more prominent with each social event. Her priority was supposed to be finding a partner and yet she'd taken it upon herself to endeavor in finding someone else a match instead. Why not kill two birds with one stone? she'd thought as if trying to tell herself that in finding Nini a match she'd still be on task in keeping her family afloat and not delaying the inevitable end of her burgeoning career as a dancer.

"He's not here." whispered Ashlyn, nervously tucking her hands behind the frills of her baby blue gown. Gina purses her rouge-painted lips while she continues to look around the field with calm fervor.

"Who's not here?" EJ distractedly asks. Gina spares him a quick glance, his eyes had been perusing around the park a mile a minute and she was sure it wasn't for the curly-haired lord that was the subject of many whispers.

Ashlyn fixes her cousin a look as if to ask him to be serious, "Please think about that question again."

EJ rolls his eyes, "I still don't think this is a good plan."

"You say that but have yet to come up with another one." Gina dryly responds.

"A good one at that," Ashlyn adds, now anxiously perusing the area for curly blonde tips. EJ's jaw clenches. His hands behind his back tighten in annoyance setting his impatient posture forward, straightening his stance.

Gina looks around the clusters of frills, lace, and non-familiar faces. The baroness hadn't exactly been familiar with the polished society gatherings, it was all as new to her as it was to everyone making their debut. She was somewhat different from someone else in a sense though. Gina hadn't grown up with any of the other girls or boys debuting this season besides Ashlyn.