The Engagement

My Dearest Genevieve,

I do hope you are settling well in the Caswell Estate now that the ghastly business and stress of your debut week is over. You cannot know the pride in my heart I hold for your accomplishment in being the diamond of the season. The queen was absolutely right in her choosing, you're my brightest star after all. Jaimie is quite proud too and I know if Victoria had the ability to speak she'd sing her aunt's praises for simply being the best.

I know it's quite a lot of pressure your brother and I have put on your young shoulders however it is not only necessary for our survival but a necessity for my sanity. I must know that when the time comes and I am to join your father, may God rest his soul, that you are taken care of, my brilliant ballerina. I know this is not ideal. I know you had dreams and hopes that's been compromised by your duty to this family but I do hope you find the most happiness in this life. It is but my deepest wish your you and your brother.

All my love,

Mother

Gina's careful to not let her tears stain the parchment in her hands. She chooses to look around the room she'd stayed in for many summers. The deep olive shade of the think curtains beside her, the crack in the wall covered partially by the dresser (EJ's mother had nearly thrown a fit when she'd seen it the first time), and the many different portraits Ashlyn had painted from her lessons, on the wall. Thoughts of the aftermath of the ball invade her mind.

Gina had been conscious that as a newcomer she'd be the talk of the town, she hadn't seen this place for years. But after the queen announced her status as the diamond of the season suddenly she was getting all different types of attention. Envious stares from ladies and duchesses that admittedly, she was used to due to her ballet career, but also curious glances from men.

Every boy wants suddenly wants her as a bride. She's already had a few boys and one or two girls come visit the family room at the estate to speak with her and naturally they all undergo EJ's glare and pseudo interrogation. She's naturally very choosey of course, no one is quite right. Gina folds the letter carefully and slides the parchment back into the envelope. Of course, her family is proud of her for this but being recognized for beauty and how soon you are to become a bride is truly nothing significant in comparison to a standing ovation from a ballet performance. That is what she truly wanted for the rest of her life.

In truth Gina had spent a lot of the summer wondering if she'd ever be happy as a bride as a wife, she'd had her doubts. Gina chuckles a bit when she thinks of how her poor mother would handle her thoughts, probably faint from the very remark. She cannot blame her this is the only way to ensure they can both live, Gina cannot make enough to support them both as a dancer and no proper husband would allow such a career bound woman for a wife, annoyance flares within her at the thought.

Gina sighs when she sinks back into the large bed. It had really been such a long time since she'd visited the Caswell Home.

Ever since Jaimie had taken over the business and had settled down with his own family there had been no reason to travel to the estate. Gina loves her elder brother. Jamie has done the best he could to support both her and mother with what he has as head of the family but with a wife and a growing family of his own (Gina simply adores her baby niece, Victoria) funds are growing tight. She just wished circumstances didn't come at the cost of her dreams of being a famous ballerina, but she knows realistically marriage is the only way to save her family. The baroness shuts her eyes tightly to keep the tears at bay.

"Get up Sleeping Beauty!" Ashlyn bursts in through the door while Gina suddenly blinks.

"Good morning to you too, Ash." She clears her throat and sits up on the bed throwing her friend a wry smirk.