7. Seven

RosieThe next day Magda walked into my room at eight AM sharp pulling back the curtains

Rosie
The next day Magda walked into my room at eight AM sharp pulling back the curtains. "Good morning Rosie. Mateo would like to see you in his study downstairs. " she said in a bright chipper tone.  My head was still pounding from last night's champagne and the sun made my eyes burn.

I quickly got ready and threw on a pair of fuzzy lime green yoga pants and it's matching fuzzy lime green crop top and ran  downstairs to Mateo's study located across from Nino's. I paused at the door trying to take a deep breath and play off that I didn't have a hangover. I counted to three and finally opened the door where I found Mateo sitting at his desk.

His office walls were painted black and his furniture was a velvet red giving the room a gothic feeling. "Rosie I'd like to talk with you about last night. " What were you doing with Aleksandra Serafin? " Mateo asked. "Nothing really, we were talking about celebrities and their gossip for the most part and we were drinking and eating, and swimming till we passed out."  I replied.

"Is that all?" Teo pushed on lifting a brow. "I told her where you stash all the guns and money" I  sarcastically said. Teo sighed and pinched his nose bridge, "Rosie this isn't a time for joking, did anything happen? Was there anything suspicious?"

"Well there is one thing that caught my attention Teo."

"What's that mi reina? "

"Aleksandra says she and Elly were best friends. She said her and her twin Aleksander were heartbroken when she died. Are you sure Elly didn't know about what you and Nino truly do? Why would Elly run away if she attended parties like this? It wouldn't be hard to figure it out that you're no ordinary family and with a best friend like Aleksandra, she had to have heard things and known something to a certain extent. Being aware of something and choosing to ignore it are two different things Teo. Something doesn't seem right about her running away."

"How was Aleksandra when she told you about Elly? Did she mention anything about a union?" Mateo asked in a serious tone.

"She said she missed Elly a lot.  Elly was the only one she could talk to and she cried as we talked about her. Something about her feelings seemed raw and truthful Teo.

"Mi Reina you have to remember everyone here last night is nothing but a wolf in sheep's clothing even papa and I." Mateo sighed.

"I know Teo, but even then she doesn't seem like the other head's children. She was shaken with fear when your men came looking for us. It came to fight or flight she naturally chose flight."

Teo looked lost in his thoughts for a minute before a lighbulb went off and pulled out his phone to send a message.

Teo sighed and put his head in his hands, "We made a deal with the Serafin recently on a building project. We have a rocky alliance with them. Our families have a history older than me that was meant to be solidified through Aleksander and Elly getting married but those plans fell through once Elly was murdered. We don't know who put the hit on Elly but we can't rule out that they might have taken the death of Elly as a sign that since our families could no longer be bound by marriage then what would stop them from trying to take us on?"