TWENTY-EIGHT | Ignoring

Start from the beginning

I stand in front of him blocking his view. He glares at me, "Move out of the way!" I grab his snacks, "Athena is gone."

Ares snorts, "No she isn't. She's somewhere in the house."

"Well I checked every goddamn room of this house and I can't find her," I snap. Ares frowns, "Are you sure? I saw her a couple of hours ago with Dante."

I look up at the ceiling silently praying to the gods above to fix my little brother and his common sense.

"When you say a couple of hours, what do you mean by that?"

"Maybe five hours ago."

I throw his snacks across the room and grab him by his collar and push him against the nearest wall, "Should I remind you when our brothers come home and find Athena is gone, we will be in trouble?"

Ares rolls his eyes, "Oh please. I'm sure if she did leave she wouldn't go alone. She's probably with Artemis."

I let go of him and take a step back. "Call her then," I demand. "Fine. I will." He takes his phone out of his pocket and calls Artemis. He puts it on speaker and she answers. "Hey, Ares, what's up?" She quickly says, making me narrow my eyes at the phone.

"Hi, Artemis. I'm just wondering, is Athena with you?"

I wait patiently for her answer.

She clears her throat, "Yeah. We are at my house. I'm going to drive her back in an hour. Why?"

"Oh, no reason. She just wasn't in her room," Ares says, glaring at me. I snatch the phone from him, "Let me speak to Athena."

I remain still for a couple of seconds before I hear Athena's soft voice, "Hi Dommy."

I turn around and my hard expression falls, "Why didn't you say you were going to Artemis's house?"

"Oh, I didn't think it was a big deal because I was just going to her house... But I'm okay! I swear."

And there she is, exposing herself. When she lies she takes pauses throughout her words and then rushes them. And she's doing that right now. I close my eyes shut. I hate when people lie to me and now my little sister is trying so hard to lie to me thinking I'll believe her.

My stone-cold expression comes back and I turn around, "I'm coming over to pick you up. Now. Get ready to leave." I hang up and toss the phone back to Ares.

" I hang up and toss the phone back to Ares

ELIJAH RUSSO:

I ignore Lorenzo as he talks to me. If words could explain how much I hate him right now I would use them. But now we have goddamn Darren. Well, his corpse. I don't know what Lorenzo wants to do with his body, he can't resurrect him back to life. He can do whatever he wants with the body. I just need to go see Athena.

"Are you even listening?"

I halt and face Lorenzo. "No. I am not listening."

He puts his hands in his pockets, "Well you're going to have to listen."

I simply walk away from him, not wanting to even bother arguing with him right now. I feel his hand on my shoulder which pushes me back and makes me look at him.

"Walk away from me like that again and I'll show you why I'm the Italian Don," he grits. I hold back from sighing. "Fine. What do you want?"

"When we go back home, get more guards following Athena. She's become a target now."

"Who's targeting her?"

"That's the problem. I don't know. I'm working on it. Just do what I say and things should go smoothly."

"Nothing has been going smoothly. She's been beaten up by some nobody. Want to tell me why that girl is still alive?"

"What are you not getting? Athena has become a target. She's killed someone. We don't know if that Darren guy had connections with anyone. She could have accidentally pissed off the wrong people without even knowing it," he says, glaring at me.

I sigh, "Fine but I don't want her leaving the house. If she's at risk I don't want anything happening to her."

"Fine."

"Fine."

He walks past me and gets in the car.

I momentarily close my eyes and take a deep breath. He really knows how to get on my nerves. I whirl around and get in the car.

I sit beside Marcello in the back and Lorenzo is sitting at the front speaking to the driver in Italian.

I go onto my new phone since Lorenzo smashed mine the other day thinking it was his. He really needs to stop throwing phones at walls, it's becoming unhealthy.

"Athena called me," Marcello randomly says. I lift my head up and look at Marcello. He may be some sort of machine but he has the worst timing. Lorenzo falls silent and glares at Marcello. "And why are you bringing that up now?"

He shrugs, "She was wondering when we were coming back."

Lorenzo tenses, "Has something happened?" He shakes his head, "Nothing that I know of." Lorenzo turns back to the driver and tells him to drive quickly to the airport.

"Oh and Elijah she asked why you weren't answering your phone, I told her that you broke it."

"Why didn't you mention that first?" I snap. He gives me a blank look. "I don't understand what the problem is."

"The problem here is that someone is targeting her now. If something is wrong we need to know," Lorenzo says, clearly fed up with Marcello.

Lorenzo tells the driver to drive even faster.

If he didn't break my phone, I could've been able to call her but no. The dickhead has a crazy obsession with breaking phones.