Chapter 11

Hi everyone! I know I've been so inactive and I'm sorry, but writer's block really is a bitch. On top of that, I'm busy and burnt out so I really don't have much time to just sit down and write. However, I hope this update makes up for my inactivity!

--

My alarm pulled me from dreams of Lauren, much to my disappointment. I reached over and hit the off button harder than was probably necessary, silencing the beeping. Rolling over, I shut my eyes once more and tried to put myself back in the dream, tried to bring back the feeling of her arms around me. 

My fantasies were rudely interrupted again by a loud knocking on my door. "Jade?" My mother called. "Are you awake?"

My eyes shot open, blearily found my clock, then widened as they read the time. Shit. I had fallen back asleep. 

"Yeah!" I shouted, throwing the covers off myself and sitting up, blinking and swaying as a wave of lightheadedness hit. 

"Did you forget to set your alarm again?" She asked through the door. 

"No!" I shouted back. "Be right down!"

I heard her sigh, then turn and walk downstairs. I moved as fast as humanly possible, dressing in the first clothes I came across and grabbing my schoolwork. I stuffed my binders into my backpack as I hustled downstairs where my mother was waiting with crossed arms. 

"If you don't hurry, you'll be late," she said, her tone heavy with judgement. 

I rolled my eyes. "What does it look like I'm doing, Mam?" I replied, only slightly regretting my answer as I grabbed a pack of breakfast biscuits from the cupboard. 

"Don't take that tone with me."

I sighed, turning to face her. "I'm sorry. I am hustling though," I replied, gesturing to my clothes and my backpack. 

My mother nodded, and I took the opportunity to rush out the door, grabbing my keys and slipping on my shoes as I went. It was a chilly morning, but thankfully not as cold as it had been in the dead of winter. I wouldn't have been able to go without a coat like this in January. 

I reached my car, fumbling for my keys to unlock it. Once I finally did, I dropped into the car, throwing my backpack into the passenger's seat. I started the car with one hand as I buckled with the other, pulled down the driveway as slowly as my skyrocketing anxiety would let me, and set off on a stress-filled ride to school. 

Luckily, I arrived in class a few minutes before the bell rang. I slid into my seat, breathing a sigh of relief. I glanced over, and realized with satisfaction that Alex wasn't even here yet. 

Not even thirty seconds later he strolled through the door, giving me a warm smile as a greeting. "Nice to see you finally beat me once again," he said, sliding into his seat. 

"Couldn't let you have the glory that many times in a row, could I?" I replied. "Don't want to feed your ego too much."

Alex raised his eyebrows, but didn't say anything. The sparkle in his eyes and the small smile he wore was proof enough of how he was feeling. I had to admit, I felt the same way. It was nice to be back in this rhythm with him, of bantering and teasing. It felt like we were on our way back to the way things used to be. 

Of course, my intrusive thoughts poked their way into my thoughts once again, whispering that things will never be the same and I should know that by now. 

Alex noticed the droop in my attitude and frowned. "Everything okay?" He asked. 

"Yeah," I answered, giving him a tired smile. "Fell asleep again after my alarm went off. I'm not fully awake, to be honest."

Accidentallyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें