Chapter 8

Okay, new chapter! Just a PSA: whenever I talk about degrees, it's in Fahrenheit because thats the way I'm used to measuring temperature. I've had questions before from readers, so I'm just putting it out there!

Also, idk about you but I think Jade needs some action in the romance department ...

I was in a funk all week. I moved from class to class with little to no interaction with anyone, and when I was sitting at a desk my head was down and I was silent. I could feel Perrie's gaze on me every period we had together, heavy and angry. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why she was so upset about this, especially when Alex had the best case scenario reaction. I didn't want to talk to her again, though, and risk setting her off again. I didn't think I could deal with another tirade of hurtful, vicious words yet. 

Alex had been texting and calling me all week to no avail. I would answer his relentless questions with clipped responses, and wouldn't answer his calls unless it was absolutely necessary. I knew I was hurting him by pushing him away, but I didn't know what else to do. It didn't help that Perrie was glued to his side more so than ever, and she had made it very clear that she didn't want me around right now. 

So, after a few days of moping around, Friday night found me sprawled on my bed starting at the ceiling. I was mentally exhausted, and couldn't find it in myself to move. However, the special ringtone I had for Alex sounding for the hundredth time was apparently enough incentive for me to roll over on my side and grab my phone. 

"What?" I grumbled as I picked up the call. 

"That's no way to greet your best friend," Alex's voice chimed through the phone. "At least, that's what I thought I was."

I sighed. "I can't do this right now, Alex," I groaned, rolling onto my back and contemplating whether or not I should hang up. 

"Well, you don't have an option," he replied more forcefully. "Now open the door and let me in. I'm freezing."

I let out another loud sigh as I contemplated my options. To be fair, there weren't many, so in a couple seconds I was hanging up the call as I pulled myself out of bed to let my friend in. I opened the door to see him making his way down the porch stairs. The sight of his hunched shoulders and his dragging feet was enough to make me feel my heart crack. I hated that I was the reason he was so upset.

"What are you doing?" I called. I watched him stop at the sound of my voice, straighten up, and turn around to face me. 

"I thought you weren't gonna let me in when you ended the call," he replied softly. Although he wasn't even saying anything accusatory, his words cut right into me. I felt even worse than I already did about pushing him away these past few days. 

"As if I'd ever leave you to freeze out here in the cold," I replied, shivering for dramatic emphasis. 

"It's 60 degrees out," he replied monotonously, although his eyes started to sparkle again. I considered that a success as I grabbed his arm and pulled him inside. 

Once inside, I gestured toward the stairs. "After you," I said, chuckling as Alex swept dramatically by me and up the stairs. I followed him up into my room, where I watched him flop onto my bed in almost the exact same spot I had been in previously. 

"So, what are you doing here?" I asked, sitting down at my desk and crossing my legs. He sat up and raised an eyebrow with an are you serious? look on his face. 

"Did you not think I would come over to try to cheer you up?" He asked incredulously. "You've been down all week. I can't just let my best friend suffer in silence forever."