Chapter 20: Rancor

Start from the beginning

"Let's get our weapons and armor. Hazel, take us to him," Reyna said.

We ended up playing a shadow-traveling version of cat and mouse, pursuing Nico to Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and finally Nevada, where we stumbled upon the Hunters of Artemis.

"Thalia, did you happen to see Nico di Angelo?" Reyna asked as we approached the group.

"What do you think, Reyna?" Thalia asked sarcastically, gesturing to the destruction around her. A dozen Hunters laid on the ground with gashes, bumps, and bruisesthe aftermath of "Nico's" rampage here. Shockingly, none of the wounded were on death's doorstep, meaning one of two things: either "Nico" wasn't aiming to kill or Nico was fighting back. Trying for optimism, I prayed for the latter to be true.

"So you three must be Ecaterina, Marcella, and Trajan. The three new immortals, yes?" Artemis asked, addressing me, Reyna, and Frank as she approached. But something was off about the goddess. "Artemis" looked older, more regal, and didn't snap at Frank for existing... she still looked upset, but it seemed as if that was directed towards "Nico." "Autodikos arrived earlier and attacked my Huntresses. He's still in the  valley."

"We have to contain him!" Reyna said. "Are there any daughters of Trivia here?"

"Two Hecate girls... Cass, Tina! Get up here!" Thalia shouted, pulling Reynawho pulled Frankaside as the five began planning how they would handle the situation.

"You need to keep your Huntresses back," I added, looking towards "Artemis." "I think Nico's trying to fight whatever took control of him, but I don't know how much longer he has, or if he even has time. Next time they fight him, he could slaughter them."

"I already gave the order, Ecaterina," she replied. "I am well aware of the threat Autodikos presents. But he has gone rogue and must be stopped, whatever methods necessary."

"Hazel! They're gonna set up a barrier within a one mile diameter around the patch of land he's in. He is in the valley, right?" Frank asked.

"One mile diameter? It has to be smaller!" I protested.

"No it can't! He's constantly shifting his position. If we don't give him room to move, he could get more violent and break out!" Reyna shot back. "Hazel, where is he?"

"Uh, hang on... two miles out, thataway, he seems to be standing still!"

"Cass, Tina, do it!" Thalia ordered, with the Hunters complying as they began setting up the spell.

"Agh... it's getting tough to hold it already! He's already pushing against the border!" one girl groaned, sweat beading on her forehead.

"I'll give you two strength," "Artemis" proposed, stepping forward and grasping each Hunter by the shoulder, making the three glow in a silvery light. And it made sense: a full moon was out, so the goddess was undoubtedly at her strongestbut if she was focused on containing Nico, then she couldn't help further.

"It's getting easier! Thanks, Milady!"

"Consuls, Daughter of Pluto, you three had best be going."

"Wait!" Thalia shouted as if suddenly remembering something. "You're gonna need some backup!"

"I think we can handle it, Lieutenant," Frank replied as he readied his bow.

"Sorry, but di Angelo's gone berserk, so you're gonna need something equally crazy. Just hold on!"

"What's your plan?"