Chapter 12: Azrael

'Azrael'

27-Aug-2030, 0331R

LCDR Percy Jackson, US Navy, Son of Neptune/Poseidon

Joint Operation with Hunters of Diana, Camp Half-Blood

Bald Mountain State Forest, Angelica, New York, USA

Special thanks to @GeneralJesus and @ineedthedamsnackbar for the very interesting ideas!

"Death from above?" Seriously, Boss?

"Eh, it seemed like a good idea at the time," I replied with a shrug, admitting to my dramatics. "Sounded cool, at least."

If it's any consolation, I'm fairly certain at least one of those fools wet their pants. One of those silver arrow chicks, I think. To that end, I've seen some weird things, but this takes the cake, Boss.

"I assume you have questions."

Hell yeah, I do! One: WHERE THE HELL YOU BEEN? Two: WHAT THE HELL YOU WEARIN'? Three: WHAT THE HELL'S GOIN' ON?!?

"Good grief, you sure seem to love hell. One: I've been working. Two: I'm wearing what I need to wear. Three: we're killing monsters tonight."

"What you need to wear?" What are you, a US Army soldier that got disrespected by some monsters back in the day?

"I'm in the Navy, not the Army, Blackjack. I'm wearing AOR-2 for a reason. If I were Army, I'd be wearin' OCP! Or MultiCam, or whatever the hell it's called!"

... I don't even know what that means. Anyways, you've got a machine gun, a pistol, and—what the hell is that, a portable ranged Kool-Aid dispenser?!? A goddamn rocket-propelled vodka?!?

"A—what?" I asked, laughing at his description. "Blackjack, it's the M32A1, sometimes called the MK14—for reasons I still don't know... SOCOM is freakin' weird—and it fires 40-mm grenades, not Kool-Aid or vodka! As for the rest of my kit, I've got a MK46 and MK27 machine gun and pistol for making Swiss cheese."

Yeah, yeah! Enough with the jargon, Boss! So now, instead of slicin' and dicin', you're shootin' and scootin', right?

"Not gonna lie, brother, that's about right. What do you think?"

... eh. Like I said, I've seen weirder. What's the plan now, Boss?

"Pretty simple: Trivia's gonna divert a bunch of shadow-travelin' monsters to a clearing in the forest. Queen—Tyson and the rest—drops illumination rounds on their heads, eliminating shadows and blinding 'em. Knight—that's us—flies in and kills as many of 'em as possible. Finally, when I give the signal, Bishop—the Hunters and Ares kids—charge in on the ground, and we continue to provide close air support. Got it?"

Okay, so just to recap: we go full-God mode on these bad guys by bringing them light. While I'm flyin' around, you light 'em up with bullets and grenades while the fools on the ground slice n' dice the ones you leave 'em, with the latter two steps repeatin' til they're all dead?

"That... is a frighteningly accurate summary," I replied, patting his side in congratulation. "You should review films and literature, buddy. You'd do a lot better than those dumbass critics at the Academy or Rotten Tomatoes or whatever the hell the new thing is."

Sounds boring. But, I'd probably do better than all those fancy-dress freebooters in Hollywood.

"Hell yeah you would."