Chapter [39]

✿ Gina Mc’Connell ✿

Cassandra had gone to a party with Kelly which left me home alone. It was strangely relaxing, the house was bizarrely quiet. Yawning, I sat curled up on the living sofa, taking warm sips of coffee from the mug I held between my hands. The TV blared, throwing streaks of light across the dimly lighted room. Detachedly, I watch the characters move of the screen, it was a drama of some sort but I wasn’t concentrating. That was when my phone rang.

I reach over to the coffee table, picking it up. “Kelly?” The voice of the other end was broken and frightened. She let out jerky, pained sobs. “Kelly?” I asked again, now more desperate that confused.

“It’s Cass, Gina. She’s been in an accident.” My heart skipped a beat, my mouth dried up. I didn’t need anymore prompting, I was up grabbing my keys.

“Where are you?” I croaked out.

“We’re at the hospital, at the edge of town. They’ve just taken her in.” Kelly struggled to form a sentence between tears.

“Okay, okay. Stay strong honey, I’m on my way.” I attempted to comfort her but the wavering of my voice gave it away, Kelly whimpered in response. I ended the call and ran out into the car, as I drove, I was praying, it was all I could do.

“God, please.” I began, “If you’re up there, protect her, please.” I’d squeezed my eyes shut like a child wishing with all her heat. “She’s my only child, my baby. Please, let her be okay.”

Somewhere within the prayer, I had started crying but I only drove harder to reach the hospital.

 Kelly Daughton 

I sat in the A&E waiting room with my head in my hands. I rocked back on forth, unable to control every sob the left my mouth. I could feel the sympathetic stares given to me by nurses and even other patients that walked back and forth. I felt my phone vibrate, a number I didn’t recognized flashed on the screen. I was about to let it ring to voicemail, when I decided otherwise.

I cleared my throat and wiped my face with the back of my hand. Sniffling, I answered, “Hello?”

“I tried to call Cass, she ran off after the party.” Andre spoke quickly, almost panicked. He had called on an unknown number knowing I would never answer him if I knew he was calling.

The upset I felt was quickly converting to anger, “Look, there's no reason why I shouldn’t drop this phone right now.”  I spoke in a low, deadly voice.

His voice was pleading now, “Something happened between us, after the party, I need to speak to her. Please.”

“Cass has been in a car crash, Andre.” I informed him. The silence that came after seemed to last for minutes on end.

When he spoke, his voice was strained. “Is she okay?” Genuine worry filled his voice.

“I don’t know, they’ve just taken her into theatre.”

“But – but,” He stuttered pathetically. I don't know what made me blurt it out. Maybe I couldn't take it, I'd had of enough of him being on the blind-side, partly for his own good and partly because Cassandra couldn't face him.

“She’s pregnant! Cass is pregnant! With your child!” The silence that followed was even deeper than the previous one.

“What?!” Andre exclaimed. His voice was now tinged with confusion; I could tell he wanted to ask so many more questions. “I thought –”