I swallowed hard. "I could ask you the same thing." We continued to stare at each other until the trance was broken by a knock on the door. I quickly checked the chakra signature. "Itachi," I said.

Deidara let go of me and rolled onto his back, groaning. "Go away!"

The door opened forcibly. I sat up, grabbed the pillow under my head, and threw it at the intruder. Itachi stepped to the side, causing the pillow to fall onto Kiku. "Hey!" the cat said indignantly. "I try to stop him, and this is the thanks I get?"

"It's time to train," Itachi said.

"Get a new line," I muttered. "It's too early."

"This is later than you usually get up."

"I know."

Kiku jumped onto the bed and made for Deidara. "Hi!" The blond smiled at her and ran his hand down her back.

"Come," Itachi said.

I sighed. "Fine. I'll see you later, Dei." I gave him a smile, which he returned, causing me to relax. Kiku trotted after me out of the room.

"So, how was it yesterday?" the cat said while we walked. "You saw Deidara's art, didn't you?"

The mention of it instantly put me in a better me. "Yeah, it was incredible. Honestly, I always found the art in museums kind of boring. Deidara's art is anything but. He really is amazing at it." I glanced at Itachi. "Don't you think?"

Itachi remained expressionless as he led the way into his room. "I am glad you are over your fear and found something you enjoy."

I gave him a cautious look. "You're not going to tell me I'm getting too close to Deidara?"

"Would you listen this time?"

I frowned. "I've always listened to you about that."

Itachi stared at me. "You say one thing and do another."

"It's not like I set out to do it. I just... can't help it. It's so easy with him. We... get each other."

Itachi dipped his head in acknowledgement. "I understand, but do not forget that everything will change once you leave here. You and Deidara will be enemies."

"No!" I shouted, physically recoiling. "I don't accept that. It's- it's not right."

Itachi's expression softened, and I felt a flicker of compassion from the bracelet. "I know. If you two met under different circumstances..."

"You don't know what's going to happen. Maybe-"

"False hope will only make it worse. I'm sorry, Katsumi. Sometimes life gives you no good options, and you have to accept it."

The sorrow I felt from him eroded my defenses. If only I knew what ailed him, maybe I could find the answer for both of us. I let out a heavy sigh. "It's not false hope, Itachi. It is real because there is always a way if you know where to look for it. And as long as there's a chance..." I thought about Naruto's determination and resolve and felt my own grow. "I'm going to fight for it."

***

I leaned back in the couch and stared at my drawing, which consisted only of a few circles. I sighed in defeat. "It's no use. I can't focus on my drawing for Itachi." I flipped the page to another sketch I had been working on. This one depicted a cat and a similar-sized phoenix cuddling close together.

"Can't get Deidara off your mind?" Kiku teased.

I shot her a look but did not deny it. "How do I get it to stop? I don't understand what's going on. What is this feeling?" I understood friendship and the various emotions it could bring quite well now, but this was on another level.