Sixty-Three

Hey all my dear reader Minons! I know it's been a while since my last update - in either book I've been posting in - and I hope you can forgive me! Life has been crazy and I've had to take a pause on my free projects to focus on querying lit agents with a new kidnapping thriller I just finished!

Please wish me luck, I think I'm finally ready to hit the big leagues in my career!

Thank you all so much for reading, and especially for voting and commenting!

HRH

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

After the movie, we went to bed and made love. Just like any normal couple in the world. Except we were anything but normal and we weren't a couple.

That was just something I would have to live with.

Of course, that didn't mean I couldn't secretly revel in the feeling of being in his arms. Long after Adrian had fallen asleep, I lay awake in the dark.

My head on his shoulder, I was able to watch his face as he slept.

Creepy, you say? Or hopelessly romantic?

All I knew was that he was beautiful as he slept. He looked so much more peaceful than he ever did when he was awake.

His lips were slightly parted and he would snore softly every now and then.

His snores made me smile because it reminded me that my Adonis was actually human.

I traced my fingertips lightly across his bare chest, savoring the warm velvet of his skin.

What a dangerous game; this little game I was playing with my own heart.

I was a fool. How did I really think this was all going to end?

As a writer, I always loved a good tragic ending, but I wanted my own story to have a happy one.

I closed my eyes as they began to silently fill with pain.

Adrian wasn't mine and I knew it.

Adrian was never going to be mine, and I knew it.

And all the while, I was falling more deeply in love with him, and there was nothing I could do about it.

###

The next morning Mike was nowhere to be seen. There was a curious lacking of him when I stepped out into the Penthouse common.

"Where's Oddjob?" I asked when Adrian joined me.

He was fastening his cufflinks and he glanced up at me with a politely quizzical expression. He had not only gotten dressed for the day, he'd put on his armor and mask, as well.

"Oddjob, you know, from 007? "Goldfinger"?"

He gave me a blank look and I sighed. "Never mind. Where's Mike?"

"I terminated his position, for now." He replied absently, busy on his smartphone.

"Really?"

"Mmm. Joaquin has projected that the danger has passed. The new head of the Italians has no interest in renewing hostilities with me."