Chapter 25

The blouse Yunhee wore was graceful and pretty, but it was not to her taste, and the chiffon around her neck felt just as suffocating as Taehyung

She could easily slip upstairs and change into something she preferred, but the last time she'd worn her hoodie to breakfast, Taehyung had point-blank refused to update her on any news of her grandma.

Not ideal when trying to use the influential mob boss to her advantage.

Sliding two fingers beneath the fabric, Yunhee twisted the mock neck collar in pursuit of comfort before stretching out over the bay window seat and flipping the page of Hahm Sook's diary.

She couldn't get enough of the handwritten book crammed with heartfelt passages. Some entries had her in fits of giggles, others in sheds of tears, while the majority enraged her for the pain her grandma had endured at the hands of Taehyung.

According to the journal, there were too many fond memories in that dainty little house on the beach, and so Sook had left Jebu-ri Island and relocated to the city after her granddaughter's death.

According to Taehyung, however, Sook had moved on from her last record of address, which begged the questions: where had she disappeared to? And how long until the uncommunicative Mafia King told her where she was?

With a meditative sigh, Yunhee placed the diary next to the census and peeped outside to check Taehyung wasn't circling the driveway.

Seeing the coast was clear, she dug her nails into her hair and began to slide out the pins, groaning at the instantaneous relief when her blow-waved locks cascaded around her cheeks.

'So much better,' she muttered while kneading her throbbing scalp and glancing around the modest sitting room.

A Bocote coffee table between two high back wing chairs, a bookshelf lined with classic novels and ornaments, a copy of Botticelli's "Birth of Venus" spanning an entire wall. Although, knowing Taehyung, it was probably the original painting.

The cosy quarter - not too dissimilar to where she often relaxed at home - provided a minute sense of comfort, along with a perfect view of the main gates so that she could keep an eye out for the owner and mentally prepare for his return.

Taehyung had left earlier than usual today, but his absence did little to alleviate Yunhee's stress. She was a prisoner through and through, her "freedom" to roam the house as she pleased disguised beneath a labyrinth of locked doors and watchful eyes.

On the bright side, over the course of her stay at Kim Manor, she'd been presented with two chances to steal the stone and rescue Jinnie.

Slim and none.

Regrettably, Slim had left town when she was caught snooping and Taehyung placed a guard outside each and every door.

Four days of being trapped under his roof.