Chapter-8

Caramel Macchiato with a tinge of brutality

June seemed to be the most interesting among all other months. It was a reminder that half a year had passed in vain or for some, successful. There still laid six months ahead for anything to happen; the subtlest of joy or the greatest of disaster could twist your path and ultimately change your life.

Melina couldn't quite guess where the upcoming days were going to take her. The sea of life was flowing in an erratic manner, the tidal currents taking her away from shore.

Every morsel of the food taken into her mouth released a sensational taste. Her taste buds tasted a different flavor in each bite, one which couldn't be compared to anything she's tasted lately.

She let out a hiss at the tanginess and soothing hotness of the food they'd just started eating. The farfalle in marinara sauce tasted just as great as it was plated though it wasn't the best of choice for the so called 'not a date'.

He had his back straight, not slouching in the slightest the entire time they ate the food in silence.

His evident perfection seemed pretentious and only but a façade put up for today. Melina found the idea of impressing people tiresome, for no one is flawless and in cases of getting to know people, one needs to just be themselves. Still he seemed much composed than her, oddly. By no means Melina planned on making her nervousness manifested.

He let out a quick cough, tugging the sand brown trench coat closer to his body.

Her lips twitched but it had less to do with the spice and more to do with his undeniable appearance. She couldn't observe his clothing during the ride, for she found it choking and sinful to be taking discrete glances at him.

With her eyes soon getting teary and nose turning leaky, she reached out for a tissue placed at the center of the table. Picking it up, she noticed he had finished the meal the same time she had.

She smirked, dabbing the tissue on her philtrum.

He wetted his upper lip before opening it to say something when it immediately sealed shut due to a sudden disturbance.

Pulling out his smart phone from one of the storm pocket, he briefly glanced at the caller ID, immediately silencing the incoming call.

Expectedly waiting, Melina rested her hands on her lap.

"Sorry about that," He muttered, continuing his unfinished statements, "I have to give you some-

Yet again, the phone perched against the oak laminated table top vibrated with a default ringtone that didn't sound too pleasing to the ears.

She noticed he didn't lose his calm, but instead silenced it again before locking eyes with her. She found it funny, for she'd seen such situations in television shows many times where the male protagonist seemed distracted during the date, much to the female lead's dismay.