Chapter-4

Uncanny Meet

They were strangers to each other, and just like any stranger would behave, he received a subtle smile before she greeted, "Hello

They were strangers to each other, and just like any stranger would behave, he received a subtle smile before she greeted, "Hello."

Breaking the eye contact with him, her pitch-black orbs traveled to his parents seated with him on the couch. The seemingly tranquil girl appeared evidently young and naïve, inexperienced in several things of the real world. It wasn't his agenda to judge her by her appearance, but he couldn't deny the vibe he began to receive. She was ordinary and screamed immaturity.

"Melina, you're here. We've been talking about you," A hoarse voice filled the room and his eyes zapped towards it.

He found a resemblance between the older male and Melina, for they shared similar small, round eyes and low cheekbones. She sent her father a quick smile and positioned herself beside him as they faced the three people on the couch. He speculated she wasn't as comfortable as she pretended to be and her eyes appeared teary and fresh as if she had just then awakened.

Mr. Walker chuckled, "Melina, we've heard a lot about you. But this is our first time seeing you."

Zayden twiddled his thumbs, glancing at Melina who offered a genuine smile, "It's the same case here. My parents have spoken a lot about you."

He had familiarized himself with Melina's parents and had developed a liking for their humbleness and simplicity, but he remained skeptical of the real deal-Melina. He preferred older women who knew what they wanted in life and had a clear goal to accomplish. He couldn't expect much of these qualities in a mere twenty-one-year-old.

His father let out a breathy laugh, widening his eyes in humor "Oh, have they spoken about me more than Zayden?"

Melina's eyebrows quirked up and she realized what the man jested. She glanced over to her father to see him giving her a crooked smile.

She defensively put a firm hand in front of her, "I-I mean I've heard a lot about your family in general."

She licked her dry lips in awkwardness and gulped at the man who had dissolved in laughter. For a split second, her helpless eyes found Zayden's emotionless ones and he noticed her uneasiness with the situation.

He murmured, "Dad, it's not the time for mindless jokes."

"Zayden's father, we're here to have a serious conversation with Melina. I hope you're aware of that."

Her ears were struck by the voice of his mother who had remained silent all along, keenly observing her every little action. The sweetness was filled in the motherly voice that had a demanding undertone in it.

Before they knew it, the room was once again touched with silence.

"I'm just trying to lighten the atmosphere, dear." He smiled and nudged Zayden.