FIVE

Word Count: 1886

~Tove

There's only one thing on my mind.

I open the door to Mary's apartment, stepping inside. Arkyn sits on the couch while Dax helps Mary carry her bags from her bedroom.

"I've decided I no longer want to go," I voice confidently, trying to pretend like my voice isn't wavering.

I could be making a mistake.

But saving Mary is all that matters right now, and if that means selling my soul to a Demon, I'll do it.

Arkyn turns to stare at me. "Why not?"

"I feel more comfortable here, in my own home." I motion at the door, toward my apartment.

It's not safe from Keo, obviously. There is no way I'm going to tell the Noble's, though. They won't understand why I need to do this, why Mary is so important to me.

And if all they are willing to do is lock me up rather than actual protect me, then how can I trust they will be willing to find a cure for Mary?

"What? Come on Tove, we should go where we know we will be safe," Mary insists.

"I don't think it's necessary...I mean, I doubt he's coming for me," I excuse, stumbling over my words.

Dax narrows his eyes. Did I just give myself away?

"You cant be sure. We can keep you safe with us," Dax assures me, rubbing the crease between his brow. He's frustrated, trying to bargain with me.

"Will I ever get out again?"

Arkyn rolls his eyes, not as interested in coaxing me. "Of course. This will only be temporary, until we can find Keo and apprehend him."

"What if you never do?" I know they are powerful, but Keo had enough confidence to sit a couple walls away from them, not looking concerned once that they were nearby.

The Noble's exchange a glance.

"We will," Arkyn affirms quietly.

"Can you give me some time to think about it?" I don't need time, I need to run. I need to get as far away from this Territory as possible, until there is only one person who will be able to track us down.

"We need to leave tonight, I'm afraid. You are not safe," Dax reminds me, folding his arms over his chest.

I glance at Mary, who looks utterly terrified. "Alright then, tonight it is."

Dax reaches a gloved hand out at me, smiling softly. "Excellent. Shall we?"

"We will meet you downstairs. I need to speak privately to Mary about something." I motion stupidly at my friend before rubbing the back of my neck.

It's hard to lie to Noble's, but consequences be damned...

Dax sighs, pushing Arkyn toward the door. "Don't be long."

I watch them depart, ducking their heads under the threshold of the door. Not a single word passes my lips as I wait until I'm sure they have scaled down at least one flight of stairs.

"Are you still sick?" I turn to Mary.

She flinches. Now that the thought has been put into my head, it's obvious she is. How could I have missed it?

"Wait...What?"

"Are you sick again?" I demand. She's not going to argue out of this one.

She rests her palm against her heart, a distraught look in her eyes. "How did you know?"