chapt 57 • A Date

Start from the beginning

"How do you know all of this?" I ask as we step out of the car and she shrugs.

"I've been through this before, with both perspectives" She grabs one of the carts outside of the store.

"Did any of them finally work out?"

"I won't say, because then you'll base your experience on mine, so just grab all things at the bottom" She rips the paper in half so we split the list and pushes the cart as I grab the items.

"Do you miss her?" Sage asks as we switch places so I'm the one pushing the cart while she grabs the items from her half of the list.

"That shouldn't be a question" Is all I say and push the cart further down the aisle.

Most people in my case would probably try and forget about Honey and give up on the hope that in the end when she's finding herself, she'll want me to be a part of that life.

We had five more months before we started university, and I was hoping she'd walk back into my life before that. We had gotten accepted together and I want to experience it together.

Sage and I put the bags in the back of the car, she doesn't ask me any more questions about Honey but I wish she would so I'd have an excuse to talk about her.

"What's your favorite thing about her?" We finally turn into my driveway and she helps with the groceries.

"I can't pick one thing, everything about her is my favorite" I place the bags on the table counter and mother comes over to hug and thank us both and we go back to my room.

"Alright then tell me everything you love about her" Sage plants herself on my bed, and prepares herself as she places the bowl of berries in her lap she got from the kitchen.

I didn't know where to start.

"Everything about her makes me smile, the way her nose scrunches up when she's in deep thought or how her eyebrows raise together when she laughs. How bright her eyes get when she completes something she's been working hard on" I know I'll just ramble on about all the things I think of in my head.

"I get shy when she looks at me, her eyes are intimidating but their just so fucking beautiful they make me weak every time. Her bottom lip will slightly curve out sometimes, she doesn't notice but I do and it makes me want to kiss her. Her kisses always make me blush and at first I thought it was stupid but then she said it was cute, now I don't mind blushing as long as it's for her" Thinking about her kisses start to make my face burn up.

"She may not think of herself in the best ways but she's so smart and she knows it."

"You should hear her voice, it's just so... I never know how to put it into words... there's just so many I can choose from but none of them would ever be enough or perfect" I realize that I've been smiling the entire time.

I could talk about Honey for hours but I want to talk to her forever.

"If you two don't end up together, I don't know what I'll do," Sage says, getting up.

Saying "I miss her" is an understatement, days have passed and I never failed to think about her.

And I could only hope it was the same with her, if she was thinking about me, and if she misses me the way I miss her.

And if she was thinking about me, if she thought about us.

"Is she into books too?" She says, dragging her finger along the book on my shelf.

"She is, she'd tell me which ones she likes and I would read them so we could talk about them" I admit and usually someone would find that embarrassing but I don't.

"Don't you get worried? That maybe she took this opportunity for herself to move on" My smile falls at Sage's words.

I don't like to think of it that way, but at the same time, it was something I couldn't help but think about. If she had forgotten about me and had someone else in the picture instead.

The thought only gave me mixed emotions,

"Maybe I shouldn't have said that" Sage apologizes and I tell her it's okay and my room is filled with awkward silence.

"But if she's really how you say she is, then I don't think she'd just leave without coming back with an explanation besides, you're too amazing to give up" She goes over and grabs her bag.

"I'll see you then" She opens the door and my mother is ready to knock on it and tells Sage goodbye.

"You two seem to become good friends" She taps an envelope in her hand as she walks into my room.

"Or an excuse so she doesn't have to be around adults all the time" I reply and mother hits my shoulder with the envelope.

"What is that?" I point to the envelope and she turns it around to read who it's for.

"It's for you, hopefully, it'll get out of this slump you've been in lately" She hands it to me and I immediately see that it's not only addressed to me in handwriting that I'm familiar with.

When I tear open the top of the envelope, the letter is written on one of those old-fashioned papers, like the one I wrote the apology to Honey on, and then I instantly knew it was from her.

I haven't even fully unfolded the paper and I felt my hands slightly shake, "Who's it from?" mother asks beside me, and then the realization hits her when she sees how pink my face has gotten.

There could be anything in this letter, on one hand, she could tell me that she wants to truly end what we have and go our ways and on the other, she could be confessing something she never has to me.

I was nervous to read it. I contemplated even opening it right now but I was desperate and needed to know what she wrote. It had been so long without any word from her and this was my chance to finally know what's been going on.

I unfold the paper slowly, still afraid to read any indicating words of Honey telling me that she wants to forget everything including me.

I brace myself and begin to read the short letter.

To my favorite bookworm,

"I'm probably the last person you want to hear from, but you're the only person I want to listen to and it's been hell going through these past months without you. I know you weren't expecting this but I have to try, I don't want to explain everything to you in this letter because I want to see you and tell you while looking into those eyes I miss so much."

"I don't expect you to say yes to the question... it is out of random and you might think I'm an idiot for even asking and you have every right to rip this and decide that you never want to hear from me again."

"Will you go on a date with me?"

- Double Update ❤️