chapt 40 • Pushing Away

"I take it the wedding went well? I didn't see you come by my office yesterday, anything you want to discuss?" Adam sets his coffee mug down on the table between us

The raging headache I was having didn't seize even with the stain of words Grandma left on me yesterday, the same words I tried to drink away.

You're impossible to love Honey.

"It was fine, nothing to talk about honestly" Each word she said to me had been replaying in my head like a terrible echo I couldn't get rid of.

"If you're sure, then I'm glad there was no trouble," Adam says, I glance at him but something about how he's looking at me tells me he knows there's something more.

There was trouble, a lot of it. Seeing Celeste wear my mother's ring was like a terrible nightmare that not even sleep could get rid of.

After the driver took me back to the academy, I tried to get everything about yesterday out of my mind but everything failed.

That's when I impulsively took two of the pills that I never saw myself doing again, then I snuck out and went to the party across the academy where everything grew worse.

All the temptation to drink my problems away and forget them the next day took over me and I ended up feeling like shit this morning.

I don't remember anything after the pills, only the minutes when I woke up.

When I had woken up, the cold morning hadn't been a problem because I was in a warm embrace, my head was on his chest, his hand was on my waist, and his arm rested around my waist, keeping me close by his side while my hand was lying on his chest.

The first thing I saw was how his hair was a mess, how softly he breathes when he was asleep and how even in his sleep, his cheeks were a rosy pink.

Then it all hit me at once, from the pounding headache to all of the feelings of a hangover. All until I realized that I had drunkenly gone to Alessio's room last night.

That's when I left, trying not to wake him up, hoping at the same time I hadn't said anything that I would have to later explain.

"Honey, if there's something, you know you can tell me"—

"You told me that I was afraid. Afraid for someone to care for me" He stops his sentence to listen, waiting for me to go on. "Has it ever occurred that I don't want someone to care for me?"

"I don't think that's true, there's a lot you've endured in your life Honey, a lot that isn't fair, a lot that you've learned to deal with on your own and you know haven't been in the best ways. I know you want a break from it, from all of it but you're afraid letting in even just one person, that it will all turn out the same and the last thing you want to be to a person is vulnerable" He clicks his pen, looking at me as I do the same to him, there's a two-minute silence.