chapt 23 • Parties

"Why haven't you been taking your medication?" Grandma lifts the orange bottle and examines that the same amount of pills is still inside

"Because I like being able to sleep at night without waking up fifty different times" I sit on my bed as she starts her own little inspection of my room.

"But you need them to help you, you need to start taking them" She took out a similar pill bottle and placed it next to the filled one.

"They're expensive and for your own good," She says as always, another line I've heard her say since I can remember.

"So is my ability to fall asleep at night but don't worry, I'll give that up for pills that you believe will save me" I put both pill bottles in the cabinet, just for them to stay there and never to be opened. 

"I still haven't been able to get in touch with that pastor you're seeing. I'd much rather you see the one at our church instead, at least then I know you're seeing someone I trust and can actually speak to" She sits on the chair with her purse in her lap.

"I'm sure he's trying his absolute hardest to meet with you" I close my bathroom cabinet and leave my bathroom.

"Well when you do come home for break, I set up some meetings for you to meet the Pastor at our church and volunteered you to be in the church's girl group as well" She explains how she's planning my life without my input.

"That all sounds absolutely terrible and I'm not doing it. I'd rather stay here than go back home and spend my break with prissy church girls with no sense of humor" I grab my brush off of my bed and begin to brush out my hair.

"Your father wants to introduce you to his new friend as well so you must come home" I pause in the middle section of my hair before continuing.

"That gives me another reason to want to stay, there's absolutely no way in hell I want to meet his new fuck toy of the year" Grandma lets a gasp, her wrinkly hand falling over her mouth.

"You will respect your father and Celeste and you will bring your manners when you meet her in two months. Your foul language will not be tolerated in my home!" She raises a finger and I finish brushing my hair down my back.

"It's a good thing we aren't at a retirement home right" I can see anger lighting up her face and she stands up.

"I see so much of her in you, it makes me think I failed terribly."

"You have failed, you were a shitty mother and you are a shitty grandmother. But it's no secret" I can almost hear her dentures grinding against each other.

"You will not speak to me like this Honey, you need to learn how to respect the people who have given you a life someone is dying to have" I stifle my laugh with a small humorous sound.

I don't say anything, I ignore her as if she wasn't there and go back to fixing my hair. She senses that the conversations are through and she takes her purse. When I hear my door shut, I drop my brush and take a hold of the tiny sun charm that attacked the silver necklace.