The Assembly

Ray's pov, 8:36 a.m.

It was a normal morning, everyone being loud in the hallways, (which is strictly against the rules) and me ignoring the world with my headphones in, playing Numb Little Bug by Em Beihold because my mental health has been shit, and all I ever want to do is die but at the same time I don't want to die because I need to survive for my mom, I feel the song is relatable. Sometimes I cry about my pathetic life, sometimes I ignore it, and the rest of the time I put my pocket knife to use. It's nothing much, just a few slits here and there, one reason why I always wear sweatshirts and long pants. That, and it's really comfortable in my opinion.

"Students, please head to the gymnasium for an assembly in 15 minutes." The principal announced through the speakers. Right, I forgot about the assembly today. I thought, taking out my headphones. I figured I may as well sit down and wait for 15 minutes to pass.

I sat down against my locker and waited for time to go by. I stared as everyone walked past me, as if I were some kind of piece of trash. And honestly, I didn't care, I like it that way.

After the 15 minutes passed me by, I quickly stood up and walked down to the gymnasium with my head down. I don't like eye contact. I sat in a chair in the back, hoping I'd be less noticeable by everyone on stage. The whole student council, including the president, and the principal were up there, and I didn't want to be seen by any of them, they're all annoying.

I looked at the student council president. He was wearing a white button up shirt (long sleeve), and a blue sweater vest on top. He had black pants on and the whitest of white shoes. He's just so perfect, it doesn't seem real.

His name is Norman. He has snowy white hair and the most beautiful blue eyes. Everyone looks up to him and probably everyone wants to be him. But not me, I may have a pathetic life and I may hurt myself for the pleasure of making things seem better, but I have not come down so low to want to be him.

I hate those perfect prissy kids. They're always so self absorbed and annoying. But everyone's blinded by their perfect looks, and their perfect voices, and perfect everything. If they step out of line, their whole reputation will be ruined. That's how this school works, you have to know your place in order to fit in.

Of course, I've never met Norman in person, so I don't know what he's really like, but he's popular and pretty, so why wouldn't he be an asshole? I know that people say you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but this is New York City, people. I've lived here all my life, I think I'd know what I'm talking about.

I felt a gaze on me and I snapped back into reality, realizing the assembly was already over and everyone had already left except for the people on stage. The principal was discussing things with the student council, but the president was looking at me. Had I really been staring at him this entire time as I was lost in my thoughts? He was probably judging me for just sitting there and not going to my classes, but no one else on stage seemed to notice me.

"You all can take your leave now." The principal said to the student council group. I quickly got up and walked quickly out the door before anyone, including the student council president, could speak to me.

Someone grabbed my shoulder. Damn it. I turned around only to see the pasty boy Norman in front of me. "Hey." He said with a small smile.

I rolled my eyes, turned around, and kept walking. He walked behind me. "I'm Norman, what's your name?" He asked, I ignored him and put my headphones in. "What type of music do you like?" He questioned, only to be ignored again.

"Eep!" I shrieked in pain as he pulled my headphones out of my ears. "Answer me, please." He said, pouting. I sighed and started walking faster as I put my headphones back in my ears, holding my hands over them so he doesn't pull them back out.