Review of 'Short Stories' by ScribbleYourThoughts

Emotions don't need 100,000 words to be felt. That is what ScribbleYourThoughts' short story collection demonstrated to me. Each story in this collection brims with emotion and dives into intriguing themes that ask questions about how can friendship and love exist in a world full of conflict.

What I enjoyed:

-As I mentioned, the author does an incredible job placing emotion into their work. Through the dialogue, you can really feel the emotional connections between the characters. The short story "Seashells" does a particularly good job of conveying emotion through letters.

-Beyond emotions, the themes the stories engage with are also thoughtful. The costs of science and war are recurring themes within the story and I enjoyed seeing the varying ways these topics were handled. "Villain and hero" is an especially intriguing story that raises questions of morality when it comes to conflict and what it means to fight fair.

-I also enjoyed the relationships between the characters. Since these are short stories, we only get so much time with each character, but the stories do a great job of creating dynamic relationships between characters so that you really emphasize with the characters. "Still with you" did an exceptional job at illustrating a relationship.

What I thought could be better:

-The stories could definitely use more description to emphasize certain emotions. At times, certain situations felt less emotional than they would have been if more descriptions had been included.

-This is a note for readers. The story "War and peace" discusses the Kargil War and includes a word that has been used, at least in the West, to derogatorily refer to Pakistani people. I wanted to give a warning so readers are prepared.

Overall, ScribbleYourThoughts' short story collection was an entertaining read that definitely gave me a lot of emotions. I recommend this anthology to anyone searching for something quick that will make them think!

Reviewer: Darcy Hongyue