An Unexpected Presence

My lips bit into the mango ice cream cone, as I sat on the grass overlooking the little river. A few crumbs descended my lap, and I brushed them off. My upper body was on fire from the thin black jacket I wore, and sunglasses with a mask to hide my face. Every time I would hear even a footstep, I hid behind my hair. 

If anything, the parkgoers were more weirded out that I'm wearing a hoodie in 90-degree weather. 

I slurped the rest of my ice cream and placed the wrapper next to me on the grass, my keys rested on top to keep it from blowing away. I slapped my hands together, brushing off the remaining crumbs. I look around before settling on the grass, patting the ground for a dry spot. I laid on my back, the tree I sat under coming into view.

I sighed, "Dad, I hope you're seeing how much distress your daughter's in." 

"Out of all the people in the world...you picked him?" 

My body sprung up from the grass and I exclaimed, "Couldn't you give me someone nice, a gentleman, or someone who at least liked me!" My rant resounded through the park and I paused, looking behind me at a few people stopping. Their curious stares and lingering ears perked up. I bowed my head low, "Sorry."

I faced the lake again and bent my head down in between my knees, "I don't know what to do." 

"To do what?"

My torso jolts up as I scream when I hear a man's voice. I closed my eyes as a hand covers my mouth, "Woah, Nova."

I struck out my arms and try to take his hand off my face, "Stop covering my mouth!" 

"Nova."

I paused and opened my eyes as soon as I recognized this voice. I immediately took my sunglasses off and see Magnus smiling at me, carefully taking his hand off my mouth. I gasped as I covered my lips with both hands, "Oh my god." He wore a white cap, white shirt, black running shorts, and black sneakers. 

He smirks, tugging his lips on one side, and he shows his hand, "Sorry, I had to cover. I didn't want people to think I was hurting you." 

"Oh, right. Sorry."

"No, don't apologize, you had good reason I did scare you," he said. He settled next to me on the grass.  

I chuckled and rubbed my hands against my sleeves. "So, what are you doing here. I mean how did you find me?"

His eyes redirected to the lake and he smiled, "Well, I was out on a run, and I happen to hear a scream from across the lake." 

I looked to the other side, and bit my lip as I hid my head in between my knees again., "Oh, God."

He laughs, "Hey, at least no one knows who you are."

"You do," I said as I looked at him. He smiles and sits back on his hands, his arms outstretched behind him. 

My arms rest on my knees as I laid my chin on top of them. "So, you're engaged now."  I blew a piece of my hair, "Don't remind me." 

"I got to say, I wasn't expecting that."

"You were still there at the party?"

He nods, I was at the back, I saw you two running away from the scene." 

"I thought you left," I said, twirling a hair behind my ear.

He shrugged, "I went back inside, and that's when I heard the announcement." 

I blushed from embarrassment and I looked away from him. "Don't be embarrassed. These happen all the time in influential families. Arranged marriages, I mean."