Chapter 28: Monster

Start from the beginning

Kylen pulls the door shut and locks it before turning back towards Nisha and the man, who is still focused on them. Without hesitation, the Tus'Felnis swings herself forward and wraps her legs around the man's neck.

She grips the chains around her wrists and clenches her jaw as she squeezes the man's neck with her legs, twisting from side to side and feeling him struggle, thrashing and fighting to get away from her. Then with one final twist that yanks his head to the side with a loud snap, he goes limp and Nisha releases his body, letting it fall and she hangs freely once again.

Kylen rushes over and starts rummaging through the man's pockets until they find the key and they quickly release Nisha from her shackles, helping her down but she shoves them aside and marches over to the table that holds her belongings, happy to feel the weight of her daggers in her hands again.

"They're under attack," Kylen clears their throat anxiously but Nisha keeps her back turned to them.

The Tus'Felnis frowns and fastens her daggers to her belt and she rubs her hand across her cheek from the slight bruise from getting punched.

"I know."

"That doesn't concern you?"

Nisha sighs and turns around to face them from across the room. "My only concern is whose side you're on. But honestly, I don't even really care about that," she marches past them towards the door, stopping as she reaches it. "Stay out of my way or don't. Just don't hurt my friends again or I'll show you just how much I actually do care."

She doesn't wait for them to respond before opening the door and sprinting down the hall. She knows her first priority should be getting out of here and back to her friends, but she can't just walk away this time. Not after seeing just how bad the situation with Cree was. This could be her only chance, if there's even one left at this point. She wants to have hope. She needs it.

Regan and Reela need it.

________________________________
__________________

The moment they see the Hexes lined up along the shore preparing to throw fire at the Firefly, Jules pushes everyone back and sprints to the front entrance, gritting her teeth as she draws energy from within herself and the world around her to guide a lilac glow from her hands, raising an ethereal shield around the wrecked ship.

The fire from the Hexes bounces off the barrier and they prepare to try again.

Jules turns back to face the group. "That should hold them off for now. Only magic can pass through, so we should have time to gather everyone. Then we have to get back to the deck," she states and Colin nods in agreement.

"Right. And from there, we can board Latanya's ship to escape and avoid the Hexes. Jules, you still remember how to pilot a ship, correct?" he asks.

She winces and wavers from side to side. "Haven't wrecked one recently."

Oliver's face deadpans. "Fantastic..." he mutters.

Regan sighs and he steps towards his sister. "It's better than sitting and waiting to die. I trust you, Jules," he says with a wary smile before turning to face the others. "We have to split up and find everyone. Latanya is already on her ship, so we just have to find Peace, Data, Malachi, May, J and Reela."

Jules nods sharply. "Colin, I need you to come with me to the deck to use your magic to help me maintain my focus to keep up the barrier while the others are gathering on the ship that will get us the hell out of here," she states and his face twists into concern.

"But... Edith?" he looks over at Edith and she nods as well.

"Don't worry about me. I'll go find Malachi and we'll meet you on deck as soon as we can. So long as the barrier is up, we should be safe for now," she says and gently holds his shoulder. She can feel how tense he is and see in his eyes how badly he wants to protest, but he doesn't say it out loud.