A nearby soldier noticed the approaching Titan and shot a red flare.

Noticing the red smoke, another Scout shot a flare of his own.

Multiple trails of red smoke were drifting up to the sky. Noticing that, Erwin shot up a green flare, signaling a change in direction.
.

Sasha was looking at her surroundings nervously.

Suddenly, a Titan scurried between the wreckage, appearing before her. She yanked the reins and her horse took off.

"Red flare! Red flare!" She fumbled with the capsule and ended up dropping it. "I'm going to die!"

The capsule exploded in red smoke under the Titan's hand.

"Sasha, this way!" A soilder shouted.

She looked over and saw two soldiers. One of them shot a red flare.

"Damn it! One got through! We gotta draw it away!"

"Blaus, get over here!"

The Titan chomped down, barely missing the Sasha. The two soldiers raced by and the titan followed them.

"I'll handle it! Split off!" One soilder shouted.

"Yes, sir!" His comrade replied and moved away.

The Titan was only chasing after his superior now. The soldier cried out and pulled away at the last second, causing the Titan to ran into a tree face first.

Sasha slowed down her horse, breathing loudly.

"Sir!"

"Back into position! It ran out of gas."

The two soilders hurried away.
.
.

'Something's wrong.' Armin had a solid grip on his flare gun. 'It's been a while since we saw the red smoke round, but the formation is still off.' He stared in the distance, noting the clear skies. 'It can't be...'

A flare was shot.

'A black smoke round?' Armin thought. 'Is a Titan ignoring the nearby humans and heading for the formation's center?' Armin held up his gun and fired off a black shot. 'It has to be!'

Two soldiers came out of the forest, followed by a Titan. It walked straight, ignoring the nearby soilders.

'That's an aberrant!' Armin thought.

"Damn, we'll have to fight it," Ness cursed. "Siss, go for the neck! I'll stop it!"

"Roger!" Siss yelled from the other side of the Titan.

Ness pulled out his blades. 'Using Maneuver Gear on flat terrain is a huge disadvantage. It almost never works. But I can't let it disrupt the formation.' He glanced over at Armin. 'I think that's Arlert over there. I don't want one of the new recruits to run into it.' He carefully stood on his horse. 'I have to stop it here!'

The hook embedded into the Titan's heel and the soldier surfed on the ground, using the momentum from the aberrant to move. With a thrust of gas, he surged forward and severed the tendons, causing the giant to fall.

"Now, Siss!" Niss ordered.

Then Niss sliced off the aberrant's nape, killing it instantly.

"You did it, Squad leader Ness!" Armin said and smiled.

But, his smile dropped when he noticed something coming towards them.

"Did I get him?" Ness wondered. His horse then came to him. "You came for me? That's my partner." He quickly mounted her. "I love you, Charlotte!" The horse galloped by the steaming corpse.