NINETEEN

"JOSH HELPED ME out a lot. He made sure that my burns didn't get infected." She lifted up her shirt to show the detectives. "They've barely scarred." She laughed.

She ran her fingers over the burns, they'd scarred and they weren't nice to look at. She hated them and the reminders that came with them.

Her fingers travelled down to the scar on her hips, noticing the way that the detectives looked to her.

"We'll get to the scar later on."

D A Y    S I X T E E N

"Josh?" Frances nervously spoke up as she walked over to the boy. He was separated from the rest of the group, much like how she was. She didn't want to go near Seth right now.

She noticed the way that Josh jumped when she came over to him. But once he realised that it was just Frances, he seemed to calm down.

"I need your help." The girl admitted. "Walk with me?"

Josh nervously looked back at the group before nodding. Frances made sure to grab the bag that had all his medicine in before leading him towards the woods.

The boy fiddled with the end of his shirt, he was clearly nervous, which made Frances feel guilty. They hadn't had many one to one chats. In fact, they barely knew one another.

Frances slowly removed her hood, exposing her long hair, making Josh's mouth fall agape. He was trying to piece everything together, but he couldn't.

"You're-"

"A girl." Frances nodded, nervously biting on her bottom lip. "Phineas is my brother. I came in his place."

Josh nodded, he extended his hand with a warm smile. He felt more at ease now.

"I'm Frances." She shook the boys hand with a smile, thankful that he didn't over react to the fact that she was a girl. "And this is what I need your help with."

Frances raised her jumper slightly, showing the burns on her chest from when Seth held the lighter against her. The last thing she wanted was for them to get infected from all the dirt and sand on the island.

The boy seemed fascinated with the burn, he was probably trying to figure out how she got it. Truthfully, she didn't know whether to tell him how she got it or not.

"Who else knows you're a girl?" Josh questioned softly, inspecting the burns carefully. He looked up to the girl before gently touching her skin. He didn't want to intrude.

Frances tried her hardest not to flinch. Not because the burns hurt, but because every time she felt someone's hands on her skin, all she could think about was Seth.

"Kirin." Frances fiddled with his ring that still sat on her thumb. She found comfort in it. "Ivan and" She hesitated a moment before whispering "Seth."

She noticed the way that Josh tensed up at his name, which concerned her. She wanted to ask him what was wrong, but before she got a chance, he cut her off.

"I have some burn cream that you can have. But if you're skin wasn't exposed to the sun, how did you get them?"

Her breath caught in her throat and she felt herself freeze up as Josh stared at her, waiting patiently for an answer. Her eyes filled with tears that were not threatening to spill. She felt physically sick.

The thought of Seth. The thought of his hands on her body. Him touching her. She'd been through some bad shit in her life, but nothing had ever made her feel that violently sick.

"Seth." The girl admitted. She had hoped that he would then confide back in her about what made him feel uneasy. "He held a lighter against my skin so that I'd stay quiet whilst he touched me."

The girl watched as Josh turned around to them vomit. Instantly, she felt guilty for telling him. She went to apologise but Josh told her that it wasn't necessary and that it wasn't her fault.

"It's okay." He whispered. "I understand too."

Frances furrowed her brows slightly. She wondered if he meant right now with Seth or in the past. But the girl didn't want to pry. He clearly wasn't ready to tell her.

"We should get back." Josh muttered.

"Actually, I'm gonna go for a little wonder, I'll meet you back at camp?" Frances managed to spit out.

Josh nodded with a forced smile before walking in the opposite direction to the girl. Frances knew where she was heading. She wanted to go to the waterfall. It was her place. It was somewhere that she felt safe. Mainly because the only person out of the boys that knew about it was Kirin.

The walk to the waterfall was peaceful. A soft smile formed on her face when she heard the sound of running water. She pulled off her jumper and laid it on a nearby rock before removing her shoes and joggers.

Slowly, she dipped her toes in the water before walking further in and submerging her whole body. Her mind flashed through thoughts of her family, wondering how they had taken the news of her disappearance. She wondered if they were looking for her. She wondered how Phineas was.

The girl came back to the surface, pushing all of her hair out of her face. She jumped back once she came face to face with a smirking Kirin.

"How did I know that you'd be here, baby?" He questioned with a small knowing chuckle. The girl shrugged in response. "I came to check on you once Josh came back without you. I don't like you being out here alone."

"I'm a big girl Kirin." Frances reminded the boy, her fingers running through the water, smiling as she felt the resistance.

Kirin nodded. He didn't mean to be over protective. He just wanted to keep the girl safe. So, he sucked in a deep breath and admitted,

"Yeah, well, there's still people on this island that I don't trust."

socials
instagram ~ vxidcameron & em.newman
snapchat ~ emilynewman1234
tik tok ~ vxidbucky & leeandhan