Chapter 45 ~ Toiling Together (E)

Start from the beginning

He waited patiently as she neatly folded her wings and began preening itchy quills into place. When no explanation came he cleared his throat. "What makes you believe I can keep up with that red ball of energy?"

''You still know not what you do not know," Luna replied matter-of-factly. ''Think, you can already make a decent perch. What other skills might you possess? What do your fellow Ardalings rely on most to detect friends and foes from afar?''

"Smell, naturally. But I'm not blessed with so keen a sense of smell."

"And you know not what you do not know. Try it, tap into the feeling when your antlers come, and reach out with your nose."

"If you say so." Faelas closed his eyes again and inhaled. In came the fresh scents of dewy grasses and succulent flowers from nearby. But the more he sniffed, the further his nose could discern. Loamy soil, mosses, the field of clover on the other side of the meadow, bunnies and field mice, each with their unique oils. He perceived Nalie, whom he knew was taking a nap behind the yonder thicket.

The smoldering smell of the cooking fire in Rada's cottage, the intricate wisps from Gandalf's pipe, the delicious muffin batter beginning to turn golden. It was almost a sensory overload for the inexperienced Fae, but the wonder of this newly heightened sense consumed him.

Faelas was sniffing around with a fervor now. He paused, grinning. What a strange sight I would be for a regular Elf to stumble upon, he mused before resuming. All manner of Ardalings across the entire sanctuary entered his perception, as did the redolence of healthy decomposition aided by fungi. Then, a peculiarly acrid odor invaded his senses.

It was like decay but entirely unhealthy. Having traversed the beleaguered forest already he recognized it instantly, but this time with a more prominent intensity than every before. It made him sad.

He stopped his sniffing, lost in thoughtless meditation on the stark contrast between the abundant growth within the sanctuary and that barren realm which lay beyond.

"Well?" Luna's raspy voice broke him from the trance. "Do you know where he is?"

"Oh, I guess I got carried away. I could smell everything within the sanctuary and even beyond. It is easy to forget the forest's illness when in paradise." Faelas noted. "To answer your question he is hiding in the rafters of the cottage nibbling on what smells like the latest batch of nut muffins."

"That cheeky cheater!" Luna squawked. "Let us give him a surprise." She launched into the air toward the cottage, Faelas bounding through the thickets in hot pursuit.

A startled grey wizard scooched to the side of the stoop to let the determined duo pass.

~ Shh, he's distracted, ~ Luna said in Faelas' mind. Faelas nodded and opened the door quietly. Climbing with ease into the creaky rafters Faelas stopped inches away from a red ball of fluff who was busy scarfing at the treat.

"I believe the deal was one whole nut muffin." Faelas said aloud. Rusco squeaked and dropped the half eaten muffin which happened to land on Radagast's hat below, knocking it askew.