chapter 11 ➸ you have nothing to worry about

As soon as she was on her own, Lauren took a deep breath. Her arm stung like hell. It was dark now, and as she began walking she studied the cut running from her shoulder and down. It wouldn't need stitches, she judged.

Despite the freezing cold, Lauren removed her jacket, wincing when the material grazed over the cut on her arm. She sighed and wrapped it around the wound, trying to stop the bleeding. She shivered, now only left in short sleeves. Thankfully Camila's penthouse wasn't too far away.

She took a deep breath once she reached the apartment. Checking her watch, she crossed her fingers and hoped that Camila was asleep. Lauren slipped inside, closing the door behind her.

All was quiet, and she slowly set her bag down by the door. A few moments later, she heard shuffling in the hallway. She stood frozen, watching the figure disappear into the bathroom. There was a crashing noise and she heard Camila's voice curse under her breath.

Lauren quickly snapped out of her trance and ducked behind the wall, hoping Camila hadn't seen her. Slowly, she unwrapped her jacket from around her arm, expecting to find the same cut she'd received less than an hour ago. But instead, she found nothing but a faint white line where the cut had been.

Then it all clicked. Shit.

Before she had time to think, Camila rushed into the living room and made a beeline straight for the kitchen. Lauren ducked down behind one of the couches, biting her lip nervously.

"Oh my god," Camila's hushed voice echoed from the kitchen. Lauren heard the rumble of the paper towel roll and then the hissing noise of the sink being turned on. She held her breath, wondering if there was a way she could slip into the bedroom without being noticed.

Ding!

Lauren cursed under her breath when she felt her phone chime in her pocket. Who the hell could be contacting her? She had no friends, literally.

Camila whipped her head around when she heard the noise coming from in the living room. Her breath caught in her throat and she quickly grabbed the nearest 'weapon' she could find. Unfortunately the only thing within her reach was a banana.

"I-I don't know who you are, but if you don't leave right now I'm calling the cops," Camila's voice wavered and she took a step forwards.

Lauren sighed in defeat, standing up and moving out from behind the couch. Before she could say anything, Camila had dropped the banana and sprinted over to the girl.

"Lauren?" she whispered, reaching up and placing her hands on the older girl's shoulders to make sure it was her. "Oh my god, it's you," she sighed in relief before wrapping her arms around Lauren in a bone-crushing hug.

"I don't think a banana makes you seem very intimidating, C—," Lauren started, but was interrupted when Camila pulled away and grabbed Lauren's arm. The younger girl turned her arm over, studying the small white scar that had appeared that night.

"What happened?" Camila's voice was laced with panic and Lauren quickly tugged her arm away. She then noticed the makeshift bandage on Camila's arm and was flooded with guilt.

"I-I...." Lauren stuttered, unable to get her words out.

"Who did this to you?" Camila shook her head and bit her lip. "I swear to god when I find whoever laid a hand on you I'll fucking r—," Lauren grabbed Camila's shoulders in an attempt to calm her down.

"Camila, I quit, I'm fine. Quit worrying," Lauren shook her head and spoke firmly. The smaller girl's eyes flickered up to meet hers and suddenly Camila burst into tears.